Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dawnek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
    What about taxes on an inheritance from Canada of company shares and or realestate?
    Question about taxes on inherited realestate and company shares. Receiver is american. What kind of taxes and is their a way to structure so company shares would not have to be sold to pay?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 06:00 AM
    The US does not have an inheritance tax, so the receiver does not have to worry about federal taxes on his inheritance. Depending on what state he lives in their may be a state inheritance tax. I take it that the decedant is not a US citizen or resident - correct? Hence no US estate taxes either. FYI - usually sales of estate assets is only necessary if the decedant's estate owes significant estate taxes, which may occur if the value of the state exceeds $5 million (for decedants who pass away in 2011 - that exemption amout varies by year).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company Shares [ 3 Answers ]

Cajun Ltd's equity at 30 June 2011 was as follows: 400 000 ordinary shares, issued at $1.60, fully paid $640 000 500 000 ordinary shares, issued at $2, called to $1.20 600 000 180 000 redeemable preference shares, issued at $1,...

What will be the treatment of shares held by a defunct company in other company? [ 1 Answers ]

There was a Pvt. Ltd company who is a shareholder in another limited company. Now the Pvt. Ltd company who was a shareholder has been striken off by the ROC. I am indilemma as to how to treat the shares held by such pvt. Ltd company. Will it be forefeited. Reply??

Brother wishes to sell his shares in inheritance [ 10 Answers ]

I am a benificiary of 1/7 share of 120 acres which is currently being sold to pay off estate debts and then benificiaries. Problem: My 2nd oldest brother wishes to sell his portion for $5000 which is a substantial less amount than his share is worth. He needs the money now and is willing...

Paying taxes on realestate [ 2 Answers ]

My grandmother past away in January of 2007. Everything was left to my mother after the probate was over the attorney had the house deeded to me for 10.00. So it was like I had paid my mom 10 dollars for it. Then it was sold. I am wondering if I am going to have to pay taxes on it.

Slump in Realestate Market how to negoiate a realestate deal on new house [ 4 Answers ]

Want to purchase a new house which has constructed already which is a year old never Bought by anyone, A realestate is listing the house, however since the realestate market Is in a slump. Want to know the best way to negoiate a good price without paying the fulling asking price for it which...

View more questions Search