Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confusedchild8 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Mar 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Atheists please help
    I am looking for reasons and facts for why god doesn't exist, or why people shouldn't believe in god... And how religion is all made up, can anyone help me out please?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
    Why does an Atheist need to prove that god doesn't exist, surely it is up to the person believing to prove that he, she or it does..

Belief is NOT proof of something and should not be confused in that manner.
    As for religion, most are based on unprovable faith and belief in a supreme being(s).
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Mar 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
    Not sure how much info you're looking for but "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins is an interesting read on this very subject.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Unbelief is endemic today but as it was written the last days people will be lovers of themselves, guess who said that
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2012, 04:40 AM
    Why do you need to Prove anything, if you don't believe, then you don't
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2012, 05:58 PM
    Reality is faith is a gift, a gift we are all entitled to receive but some reject this
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
    If there is no God life isn't worth it. I just lost my Dad from a massive stroke, while my mother is recovering from a heart attack and open heart surgery. My life has been changed forever. If this is all there is, it isn't worth the trouble. But I believe God does exist and He himself says we should be able to look at creation and know it.

I don't have enough faith to believe that order came out of disorder. A big bang and everything fell into place. Please. Even the sun is in the proper place... not a little closer or a touch further because if it were, we wouldn't be here. No, I don't have enough faith to believe we are just happenstance. I'm blown away by those who believe that.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
    Millions of people happily live their lives with no knowledge or belief in any god - in fact it's the default position.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2012, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Even the sun is in the proper place...not a little closer or a touch further because if it were, we wouldn't be here. No, I don't have enough faith to believe we are just happenstance.
    It isn't. Take a planetary physics course and you'll know why. In fact there may be other inhabited worlds because the physics line up for it.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Apr 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
    If one does not believe that ANYTHING exists, then it doesn't exist as far as that person is concerned. As far as not believing the God does not exist, that is simply a person choice and opinion. With that said, that person DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to disallow anyone who DOES believe to not show their feelings towards God. If the Atheist does not want anything referring to God to be publicly displayed, then where are the rights of those that do believe in being able to display what they believe in?
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
    athiests would deny us freedom of speech, freedom of expression, just because they are of a different opinion. Once we would have done the same to them but we are more enlightened now. Reality is God doesn't want us to defend his existence, since the evidence is in plain sight but the athiests are blind,

Thing is if we are wrong we have believed a lie, if they are wrong they have eternity to experience the truth of their error
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2012, 02:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    athiests would deny us freedom of speech, freedom of expression, just becuase they are of a different opinion.
    Not at all. On this forum there's a whole list of Religion boards, no one is denying you your freedom of speech.

Thing is if we are wrong we have believed a lie, if they are wrong they have eternity to experience the truth of their error
    Ah yes. Pascal's Wager: Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Personally I don't live my life based on hedging a bet, but that's just me. :-)

Apr 12, 2012, 05:55 AM
    I am a believer in a higher power. I do not know if it is God or not. You say the evidence the God truly does exist is in plain sight. Where?

athiests would deny us freedom of speech, freedom of expression, just becuase they are of a different opinion. Once we would have done the same to them but we are more enlightened now. Reality is God doesn't want us to defend his existence, since the evidence is in plain sight but the athiests are blind,

Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2012, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    I am a believer in a higher power. I do not know if it is God or not. You say the evidence the God truly does exist is in plain sight. Where??
    Look around you, everything is unique, no two plants, animals, humans are exactly alike, abundance and perfusion. This cannot have evolved by its own accord. We have six thousand years of recorded history, where were we for millennia? How did we suddenly become intelligent? Everything reproduces according to its kind, there is order. Evolution doesn't make sense and besides if you take the time to seek God according to his ways he will reveal himself to you

Apr 22, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Evolution is a proven science. Creationism is a theory. There is a higher power. I agree with that but I believe it is the Human spirit not something"up in the sky". Your thoughts and beliefs are not your own. They are a culmination of ideas that you have been taught and you have not allowed yourself your own human-ness. Think for yourself FIRST, Be a Human,, you can't be spiritual until you can be human.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
    No Evolution is far from a proven science as to how different types of animals evolved. It can not show how a bear and a bat all came from the same animal before. In fact it is almost laughable to even try to say it seriously. Yes things within its own type will change, a rose will become a better rose or a tree will become a greater type of tree, but a tree did not become a fish, and so on.
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2012, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    Evolution is a proven science. Creationism is a theory. There is a higher power. I agree with that but I believe it is the Human spirit not something"up in the sky". Your thoughts and beliefs are not your own. They are a culmination of ideas that you have been taught and you have not allowed yourself your own human-ness. Think for your self FIRST, Be a Human,,,,you can't be spiritual until you can be human.
    If evolution is proven how come no one can tell me where I came from. Where did my spirit come from? The human spirit is not up in the sky it is here in me right now but so also is the spirit of God. My thoughts and my beliefs are the sum of what I have learned, what I have experienced, what I know to be true, not some Darwinian nightmare. You want a little each way, but in fact you can't have it both ways, if evolution then where did God come from, when did he evolve? If creation then God is also explained because he said he did it, spoke it into being

Apr 23, 2012, 05:45 AM
    if evolution is proven how come noone can tell me where I came from. where did my spirit come from? the human spirit is not up in the sky it is here in me right now but so also is the spirit of God. my thoughts and my beliefs are the sum of what I have learned, what I have experienced, what I know to be true, not some Darwinian nightmare. You want a little each way, but in fact you can't have it both ways, if evolution then where did God come from, when did he evolve?, If creation then God is also explained because he said he did it, spoke it into being
    And that leads us to the question,, "Did God Create Man or Did Man Create God"?
    I believe the latter is true.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 09:51 PM
    The only thing that matters are facts, and sometimes instead of admitting we don't know, we fill in the gaps with whatever sounds best to us. Some of us even refuse to throw off the opinions, and traditions we are taught, so we repeat it, and even start believing in it, and call it faith.

People have died in the history of man over what they believe or been taught, and that's a real waste in my view, since we all KNOW we are right, but the only way to prove it is to make someone wrong. So if you don't believe in science, okay cool believe what you want. But because I do, and reject what you believe, that should be cool too. How come its NOT?

The sad part is, no body can stand that they might be wrong, misguided, or mistaken. They rather believe they are right. I will admit, that all I know is here I am, and here you are, and the world is what it is, so we deal with it to the best of our human ability.

I promise I won't think you a fool for what you believe, but I do reserve the right to think you an idiot by what you do. And I respectfully submit to all you believers, that you are misinterpreting the data. Therefore flawing the facts. That happens so before we start that war over who and what's right, maybe we should review the data.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2012, 02:45 AM
    I'm more concerned about the note of agony in the question. Please tell us, why is deciding about a god and religion so urgent and upsetting? For many people it's a lifelong quest, or at least question. Are you fighting with parents or someone close to you about the subject? If not, then just let it be part of your life, constantly wondering. Belief in God is all about faith, because there is no 'proof' (despite the people who like to think that the just-right sun and the plants we eat and air we breathe were made for humans).
    For many in the modern world God is convenient - a way to gather people to do good deeds, a congregation to comfort others, a place to turn when tragedy happens and life loses meaning. A little different from the ancient times when God was thunder and lightening and rain for crops. But not that different.
    Each person has to think, listen, read, watch, and decide for him or herself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Atheists are outraged. Again. [ 18 Answers ]

Atheists are pi$$ed and offended, but what else is new? This time NY atheists are having a hissy fit over a street name honoring firefighters killed on 9/11. New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims And so, because they've concluded there is no heaven...

Should Atheists be banned from Ask me help desk? [ 19 Answers ]

It's a great question! Answer it, and I'll tell you why I ask! :o)

Atheists do not believe,How? [ 630 Answers ]

As a believer in The Creator of the worlds, I have always wondered how an atheist comes to the conclusion that God is non existent ? Please do not think that I am going to argue your points,just curious!! :confused: Thanks in advance.

Who marries two Atheists! [ 2 Answers ]

This is an honest question!! I have tried looking it up but I can't find anything. My boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage (not anytime soon but just in general) and I just can figure out who would do it... Help? Answers only please!! Don't put me down for my religious ,or...

Pope to hire Atheists [ 18 Answers ]

From the Independent "Catholics who claim they have seen the Virgin Mary will be forced to remain silent about the apparitions until a team of psychologists, theologians, priests and exorcists have fully investigated their claims under new Vatican guidelines aimed at stamping out false claims of...

View more questions Search