Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Soulchump Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
    Fluidmaster 400 (only 6 months old) flushes & fills tank, but bowl only fills a bit
    I've read the other answers here, but they don't seem to match my experience.

Got a Fluidmaster 400 inside the tank, and it's only 6 months old. Bowl was re-filling fine before, but ever since my wife had to plunge a clog (pregnancy has ugly side effects, you know?) it has only re-filled maybe 10% (not even quite filling the deep central outlet, let alone the bowl).

I don't know actual names for things, so I'll describe the inside of the tank like this:

The black post off to the left (ballcock?) has a red cap, and it has the float-thing hanging off its right side. It also has some white bendable tubing coming off it.

In the center is an open-topped, empty black plastic cylinder that rises and falls when I push the flush handle down (I've read that the white tubing is supposed to pour water inside this black cylinder, but every time the cylinder lifts during flush, it pushes the tubing back out so that the tubing's water is going in the tank). In the very middle of the big black cylinder is a funnel-topped small black opening.

If left-loose and right-tight on the water valve in the wall means that turning it to the right tightens it and closes it off, then it's fully open because it's as far left as it will go.

Pretty sure that's all I know. Hope it helps, and thanks so much for any answers you may have!

1st-time home owner,
    Soulchump
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    every time the cylinder lifts up during flush, it pushes the tubing back out so that the tubing's water is going in the tank).
    There's a plastic piece missing from the small refill tube going from the ballcock to the overflow tube, (see image) also is the tank level about 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube. Replace that little plastic piece to secure the small tube and watch your bowl level raise. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
    In this case I believe the flush valve will be a canister type like in a kohler toilet. The refill tube connects directly into the center of the kohler canister (see image).

If it is the kohler canister valve then you should just need to push the tube into the hole about an inch. Hold the center valve and work the tube in... will definitely resist you but it will go in... ;)

Worst case, the tube is too short and you'll need to get another tube and cut it to the correct length... be sure to leave plenty of slack!

Back to you...

Mark

PS: This flush valve has been discontinued and replaced by a large flapper style flush valve.
    Attached Images

Mar 28, 2012, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    There's a plastic piece missing from the small refill tube going from the ballcock to the overflow tube, (see image) also is the tank level about 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube. Replace that little plastic piece to secure the small tube and watch your bowl level raise. Good luck, Tom
    Tom, thanks so much for your reply. The tank, when filled, is about 1/8in (just a few milimeters!) below the top of the overflow tube.

In the other area you mentioned, with the plastic piece, I'm still not clear on which piece needs to be replaced. Does it have a name in the picture you sent (thanks so much for the picture.. . It helps tons!)

Soulchump

Mark this is EXACTLY the model I'm talking about. I've pushed the white tube into the center of that post, as you said, and though it fills VERY slowly, it is now filling about 1.5 inches more than it was before (which means only just an inch shy of where it was before-before).

This is MUCH more live-able! Thank you so much!

Soul
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 06:59 PM
    Hi Soul

Good news, for sure! Maybe we can do even better here?

It may be a good time to clean the toilet fill valve. Cleaning the fill valve should improve fill time and water volume delivery, too!

Check out this video:

Thanks! Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2012, 04:58 AM
    I'm still not clear on which piece needs to be replaced. Does it have a name in the picture you sent
    You told me the small tube keeps slipping out of the overflow tube. The plastic angle adapter clips on the overflow tube and secures the small refill tube from slipping out. Regards, n Tom

Mar 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
    Tom & Mark, I really appreciate your help.

I'll give the fill valve a quick clean-up, and the tube is definitely holding tight now that it's firmly stuck in the funnel-post.

Much appreciated,

Soulchump
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Thanks for the update!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My toilet flushes and fills up the bowl and then slowly drains the water. [ 4 Answers ]

Flushes great just will not hold water in the bowl after flushing.

Toilet fills but bowl emptys? [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet fills up and shuts off then the bowl empties what's wrong?

Toilet bowl fills after I shut off and on the water valve [ 6 Answers ]

My toilet bowl won't fill after I flush it. However I can get it to fill by turning off the water valve and then turning it back on. Can someone help me? Thanks!

Flapper closes before bowl fills [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! A while ago we replaced the flush valve in our toilet. It no longer runs at random times, but in order to get a proper flush you have to hold the handle down or the flapper closes too soon. The water level is correct. If you hold the handle down, keeping the flapper up a bit longer, it...

View more questions Search