Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaserracer83 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 07:09 AM
    Change imported excel data from table structure to plain data
    Hello,

I have an excel spreadsheet that contains some imported tables. The tables contain close to 1 million records each. The tables come from an Access query that I import using Data --> Get External Data --> From Access. The problem is, the import sets the data up as an excel table which takes up a huge amount of space and makes my spreadsheet run very slow. Is there any way to take the data in the tables and have it contained in a standard un-table-formatted way?

Thank you for your help.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Break the link between Excel and Access.

Record a macro of you doing the import and show us the resulting code. That might reveal more.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Why are you importing to Excel?

Access can do many of the same things that Excel can do. Plus Excel was not made for dealing with loads of data, Access is!

When you use the External Data function it will take the data from whatever source and place in rows and columns in your spreadsheet. That's the only way Excel know how to handle it. I really don't know what you mean by "a standard un-table-formatted way".

So you need to provide more information about what you are doing and why if you want us to help. My suggestion is to filter and/or summarize the data in Access and only import the data you actually need into Excel (if in fact you need to use Excel at all).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VBA code that will append Excel Data to an Access Table [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I'm fairly comfortable using VBA with Excel but now I am starting to use Access more. That said, I have a learning curve there. Here's what I am trying to do. I use a software system that allows me to export data to Excel. It does have a built-in function to export to Access but it...

Columns of data in Excel into rows of data [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 columns (column A, column B) of data in Excel. I need to make the data into row in such arrangement column A1 goes to row 1, column B1 goes to row 2, column A2 goes to row 3, column B2 goes to row 4, and so on). I have over 1000 records in column A and column B to make that happen. Any...

Collect data into 2 combo boxes from data in an access table [ 1 Answers ]

I have two combo boxes. When the form loads the db connection opens a recordset that selects all the data from the retaillocations table. When you choose the region (0-4), that number loads into a text box and the Contacts load into the forst combo box. Now I want to select only the Name based on...

Graph as a data structure. [ 1 Answers ]

How I can write a program for DFS/BFS using graph in C Programming ? Help; thanks in advance.

Data structure in c++ [ 1 Answers ]

Define:data hiding,encapsulation,inheritance,polymorphism,message passing,dyanamic binding.

View more questions Search