Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaleRa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
    2011 filing
    Do I have to file federal and state taxes if I did not work in 2011 and made no income at all?
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 28, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Technically, probably not unless you own property and your state has some sort of property tax rebate program that requires a return. I've always taken the route of filing regardless of my employment status just to be on the record in case of audits later on or in case I needed to qualify for some sort of benefit, like student assistance. It's an easy process, and in my opinion it's worth the effort. You can file easily and quickly online.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
    You are required to file tax return only if your income is more than the filing requirements. Your U.S. Tax Return: 2011 Filing Requirements for Most Taxpayers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2011 L1 Tax filing questions [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I need some suggestion on filing my 2011 taxes My wife and I are in L1 B. I have one kid came to US on July 2nd 2011 dependent as( L2 )of my wife’s L1. I am planning to do the Joint filing with kid as dependent. So I need to apply the ITIN for my kid during the tax filing.

@ATE: filing taxes for 2011 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am currently working in Arizona on H1B visa and I also recently got married in October. I am wondering whether you will be able to file my taxes for 2011. I see from your posts that you are quite an expert when it comes to filing for non-immigrants who work on H1B visas. Is there any...

Is federal circuit breaker for disabled still available, filing 2011 [ 5 Answers ]

I have always received a circuit breaker of $750.00 each year in the past but this year, when I looked on the IRS web site I I could not find any information on the federal circuit breaker. I would like to know if this program has been phased out. There used to be a yellow circuit breaker form...

Opt-tax-filing-2011 [ 0 Answers ]

I was graduated in Mei 2010 and I am doing a contractor works right now. My status in America is actually still OPT until October 2011. Therefore, I was wondering if I have to do a contractor tax or not? If I have to do it, what form do I have to fill in and how big is the tax suppose to be? Thank...

OPT Tax Filing for 2011 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have graduated in dec 2009 and I am on Post Completion OPT and employed as an independent contractor on 1099 basis for five months i.e from (May 2010 - Sep 2010), and then changed to W2 from oct 2010 onwards. I did not file for taxes on 1099 also. So can you tell me how to file for...

View more questions Search