Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigsully51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
    His lease and she left. What if she comes back and asks him to leave?
    My son and girlfriend rented an apartment together but only my son's name is on the lease. She left last night and came back today will he was at work and told him to move out. Can she do this? What rights does my son have to the apartment? Should he contact landlord and ask? Should he right up a letter and ask her to leave in 30 days?
    Please advise
    Thanks
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 27, 2012, 06:57 AM
    I'm not a lawyer, but I have been a landlord, so I'm familiar with leases.

No, she can't throw him out. It's his lease, his apartment, his rights are primary. She has no legal rights. She can sue him if there's some grounds not mentioned--for instance, if she can prove she's been paying his rent for him and wants the money back--but she has no right to the apartment as things stand. A certified letter to her telling her to move out would be a good thing as he'd be on record as not wanting her there should she decide to pursue a case against him for something.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsully51 View Post
    ... She left last night and came back today will he was at work and told him to move out. Can she do this? ...
    Sure. She can ask him to leave. And he can reply by saying "no".

Quote Originally Posted by bigsully51 View Post
    ...What rights does my son have to the apartment? Should he contact landlord and ask? Should he right up a letter and ask her to leave in 30 days?
    He is the tenant. As such, he has the right to possession of the premises.

No, I don't know why he should ask the landlord. It is, frankly, none of the landlord's business. She is at most your son's subtenant. As such, she can claim the right to not be summarily evicted (i.e. without due process of law, including the requirement that he give her due notice to quit and then get a court order, should she fail to move out as demanded in that notice).

So yes, he should give her written notice to quit as required by the law in your jurisdiction (state or country). If she fails to leave, he will probably have to take her to court.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 28, 2012, 07:00 AM
    There isn't even a requirement for due notice unless she actually signed a sublet agreement with him. If she's just been living with him without benefit of any paperwork, the best she could hope for is a "palimony" suit if she can prove that by living with him she lost something and he benefited. I'm guessing that's not the case. He can just toss her out and leave it at that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the legal process in California when the homeowner asks you to leave? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the home of a friend who is also the homeowner. We have a roommate who pays 500.00 a month rent which includes utilities and no household responsibilities are required. I have my own room as well, however, I pay for 1/2 the utilities, pay and care for the homeowners pets, purchace the...

Can I get my deposits back if I leave a rental before lease is up but house is in pre [ 3 Answers ]

I was renting a house for a year and paid on time each month. I wanted to renew my lease but they wouldn't because the owner wasn't sure what was going to happen with the house. I did month to month and started looking at places to move to but wasn't having luck. But then they called and asked if...

Ex not on lease will not leave.landlord gave her 30 days.still won't leave? [ 12 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend and I were on a lease and it expired 7/15/09. I signed a new lease with only me on it. She will not leave. She stated the landlord had to give her 30 more days to leave. The landlord then sent a certified letter stating she had to leave in 30 days. She will not leave. What rights...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Asks me to leave [ 4 Answers ]

I took care of everbody in my husbands family for past 10 years. Its either his way or no way. He complains about me sharing my family matters with my parants. My in-laws have lot of influence on him. After 10 years, now he's having problem with. Always says that I don't have respect for him,...

View more questions Search