Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 05:58 AM
    CCJ, here is some additional info on suppliments you also might like to read, same website as listed above:

Supplements
    Certain supplements can help reduce the risk of acute pancreatitis or control the effects of chronic pancreatitis.

Digestive enzyme supplements that contain pancreatin may be helpful for dogs who have had acute pancreatitis or suffer from chronic pancreatitis. It is theorized that these may reduce the load on the pancreas and inhibit pancreatic secretion.

These supplements are sold over-the-counter for humans or dogs; the prescription-strength enzymes needed by dogs with EPI can also be tried to see if they seem to reduce pain from chronic pancreatitis. Note that enzymes seem to help some dogs, but not others. If your dog does not respond well to one brand, you can try adjusting the dosage or using a different brand, but don’t continue to give them if they cause any problems.

You can also try feeding small amounts of raw pancreas, giving pancreatic glandular supplements, such as Pancreatrophin from Standard Process, or giving plant-derived digestive enzymes, which may be helpful if your dog has trouble digesting carbohydrates.

Fish body oil, such as salmon oil or EPA oil (not cod liver oil), can help to lower blood lipid levels (both triglycerides and cholesterol) in dogs with hyperlipidemia. Studies have also found it to be beneficial in treating acute pancreatitis, while its effects on chronic pancreatitis are unknown. The dosage needed to treat hyperlipidemia may be as high as 1,000 mg of fish oil (supplying 300 mg combined EPA and DHA) per 10 lbs of body weight. Dogs with normal lipid levels should do fine on that amount per 20 to 30 lbs of body weight daily, preferably split into two doses. If you use a supplement with more or less EPA and DHA, adjust the dosage accordingly. Vitamin E should always be given whenever you supplement with oils – give around 5 to 10 IUs per pound of body weight daily.

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that live in the intestines and help to keep bad bacteria in check. While probiotics are not recommended for dogs with acute pancreatitis, their effect on chronic pancreatitis is unknown. As they are known to help with some gastrointestinal problems, and since their population may be depleted during acute pancreatitis, I think it makes sense to give them once your dog has recovered. You can use products made either for dogs or for people.

Prebiotics are indigestible carbohydrates that feed the beneficial bacteria in the intestines and are often included in probiotic supplements. Certain prebiotics called oligosaccharides have been shown to decrease triglyceride and cholesterol blood levels, which can be helpful for dogs prone to hyperlipidemia. These ingredients may be listed on the label as fructooligosaccharides (FOS), oligofructose, inulin, or chicory. (See “Probing Probiotics,” August 2006, for more information on both probiotics and prebiotics.)

Dogs fed a very low-fat diet may become deficient in the fat-soluble vitamins A and E. Adding fish oil and coconut oil to the diet can help with this. Dogs with damage to the pancreas may also suffer from vitamin B12 (cobalamin) deficiency – in this case, monthly injections may be needed if the dog is unable to absorb B12 when given orally. Chronic pancreatitis may interfere with absorption of vitamin B, so supplementing with B-complex vitamins makes sense.

Human studies suggest that antioxidants, which are found mostly in fruits and vegetables, may help protect against pancreatitis, and reduce the pain of chronic pancreatitis. Vitamin E and selenium (which work synergistically), vitamin C, beta-carotene, and methionine have been found to be effective in helping to prevent pancreatitis in human studies.

Other natural antioxidants sometimes recommended for chronic pancreatitis, though evidence is lacking, include SAM-e (S-adenosyl methionine); alpha lipoic acid (not recommended for diabetics); OPCs, found in grapeseed extract and pycnogenol; resveratrol; and milk thistle. There are a number of combination antioxidant products made for dogs, such as Small Animal Antioxidants and Immugen from Thorne Veterinary, and Cell Advance made by Vetri-Science.

In their book, All You Ever Wanted to Know About Herbs for Pets, Greg Tilford and Mary Wulff-Tilford suggest herbs to support the liver and digestive system. “Dandelion, burdock root, or Oregon grape can help improve digestion and reduce pancreatic stress by gently increasing bile and enzymatic production in the liver.

...Yarrow is said to help reduce pancreatic inflammation and improve blood circulation to the organ.”
    ccj Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 06:25 AM
    Thank you also aurora bell. You ladies have been very helpful. This has been very frustrating. He still is belching at times and now it seems to be greenish. I have called the vet and am currently waiting for them to call me back. To me green bile in not a good sign. The last dog we had growing up that threw up green stuff died. And it too was a daschund. But the vet said that it was gangreen and that he had been bitten in the stomach by another dig. That was possible since he had slipped out the door and was running round the neighborhood with some other dogs.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 06:37 AM
    Yes, green usually does indicate infection. On the other hand expelling this is a good sign too. It's basically a "poison" and your dogs body's natural reaction to get rid of it, this can also be a good sign, think of a sinus infection in humans. I really think the best thing here is to speak with a nutrisionist. I know this can get costly, but I just can not fathom feeding a commercial food such a Purina to a dog with pancreatic issues.

You will be in my thoughts all day today, please keep us posted!

-Bella
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2012, 06:51 AM
    Oh, my gosh - yes, let us know.

Mar 29, 2012, 10:43 AM
    thank you I will. They kept him and are doing more x-rays and blood work. So maybe they will get to the bottom of it. He might have to stay overnight again. But if they can get to the bottom of it I would rather he stay than watch the little guy suffer.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 11:19 AM
    You're right. I am sure he is in ery capable hands. Good vibes being sent your way!
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
    More good vibes - you really love that dog... and it shows.

Mar 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
    o.k. ladies,good and bad news. My daschund has to have surgery. Once they got to looking the barium they did last Friday was STILL there. Which indicates a blockage of some sort. Pray that it is not a tumor. This is where we are now. Got to call and check on him in the morning. Will keep you posted!!
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
    At least they have an idea what's going on. Fingers crossed.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 01:51 PM
    Ok one HUGE step in the right direction! Fingers crossed it's not a tumor. Thank you for keeping us to date. If it is a tumor lets hope it's benign.

Mar 30, 2012, 08:28 AM
    OK here is an update on duke(my daschund) he made it though surgery. They found what looked like a nose the size of a walnut from a stuffed animal. The only thing that he had prior to his illness was a duck dog toy. The only thing from that was in the beak of the duck was a round ball like item. So I guess he ate that!! Whew! What an ordeal!! Just watch those dog toys!!

Mar 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
    How they missed that the first round is beyond me!!
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
    Good news indeed - and, yes, how did they miss it? Well, at least they found it this time around!

Good news!

Apr 1, 2012, 03:49 AM
    Update,duke is still doing fine. He has to stal until at least tomorrow. They are still feeding him through the i.v.they said that they would start him on solid food late today or in the morning. The vet said that he pulled a pouch the size of a walnut from him. We suspect that it is the sqeaker pouch from a dog toy!! He might get to come home tomorrow. So this is where we are now. Cannot thank you enogh for all the info. I figure that I will still put him on some natural dog food as his pancreas was inflamed from the irritation of the foreign body. This little episode will make his stomach sensitive for a while, I figure. I know that you recommeded the science diet and that is what our vet carried. Our animals do not care for that.I found a brand at our farm supply store that is called taste of the wild. Does anyone know much about that brand. We live in a remote area and the closest pet supply store is at least a 45 minute drive. The research I did on the taste of the wild is that there is no ground corn. But is a little high in the crude fat. What does anyone suggest?//
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2012, 05:40 AM
    With pancreatitis you want to AVOID fat. Granted in a case like this chances are he won't have to stay on it for a while, but you should maybe see how low in fat the vet diet is and try to find something comparable..
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Did your Vet prescribe a dog food? My dog was on Hills ID - which my Vet suggested.

She's since been switched to something else.

Apr 1, 2012, 12:56 PM
    @ judykaytee.. he is still @ the vets recovering. No he has not recommended anything specific. But his pancreas was irritated from the foreign body.
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2012, 01:08 PM
    I'm interested in what will be suggested next.

When can he come home?

Apr 1, 2012, 04:14 PM
    They said maybe tomorrow. They said that they may start him on mush in the morning. (watered down canned food) and that if he can keep solids down he may let him come home. But I figure late tomorrow afternoon or evening @ the earliest.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 1, 2012, 04:14 PM
    Taste of the wild is a holistic food, I am pretty sure Lucky recommends this brand, as she is in the states as well and has had experience with it. Just stuck with a low fat food. Seeing as it's not actually pancreatis, and just inflammation due to a foreign body finding a food with 0 fat isn't life or death. I would talk to your vet of course and see what he recommends, I don't necessarily recommend Science Diet, but JKT has had good luck with Hills, which I believe is made by the same people. You might want to look into Blue Buffalo.

I am SO happy to hear little Duke is on the mend. What a scary ordeal!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant upper abdominal pain & Unable to eat solid food [ 24 Answers ]

Please advise - I was diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis in January and subsequently spent four months in hospital following an endoscopy, perforation and GI Bleed causing me to spend four months in hospital. Five months on and I am still not able to eat solids without very acute pain in the...

My dog will not eat his food unless I add a hard cooked egg to eat is that Ok [ 7 Answers ]

My dog will not eat his dog food (Beneiful healthy weight) He is approx 18 lbs I have tried everything Now I finally got a flat plate put his dog food and other little flavors added olive oil a touch he nibbles but when I add a hard cooked egg he eat it all. Is it healthy for a dog to have a...

Chihuahua won't eat solid food [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a chihuahua last week. She is now about 7 weeks old. The person I got her from said she was eating Purina Alpo Puppy. Due to the pet food recalls I dicided to call the number on the back of the can. THe woman I talked to said I shouldn't feed my dog any kind of dog foof just in case. She...

My mini-daschund won't eat her dog food. [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I am a new owner of a 3 month year-old miniature daschund named Chicky (female). I have had her now for 2 weeks, and I'm having a major problem: she won't eat her dog food. I have tried many brands (Royal Canin, Science Diet, Eukanuba) and she hardly nips at any. I know that puppies are...

First Solid Food; Just for fun [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, Just for fun. According to the Montel Show, TV,: What is the first solid food most commonly given to children in the United States? I was surprised! Do you know?

View more questions Search