Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srbone Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 05:57 AM
    Sale of inherited property at a loss
    I sold my share of an undeveloped inheritance property in NY in 2011, left to me in 2008. Property appraised at time of death at 750K, my 1/6 share 125K. Property sold for 550K in 2011, my share 91,666. Have been out of work here in NJ for almost two years, so this was my only income. I have deductions for medical bills, job search, mortgage interest etc. I don't know how much I have to claim deduction -wise to minimize my tax exposure on this sale. Is this taxable income, and if so, what is my exposure given the loss on the sale? I used to have an accountant do this, but can't afford one right now. Thank you for your help.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 27, 2012, 07:11 AM
    Let me get this straight. You inherited property. The appropriate inheritance and estate taxes were paid back in 2008 at the time of the transfer, right? So taxes were paid on the full appraised value of the property when it passed to you. Now you've sold it at a loss, which is a loss, not a gain.

By my calculations, there should not be any tax liability, and you may be able to write off the loss against whatever investment gains you might have. Do I have the facts straight, or is there something I'm missing?

Mar 27, 2012, 08:36 AM
    Thanks! I don't know if any taxes were paid at the time, my brother handled that. I appreciate the help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
    You sold property at a loss so you do not have any income from this sale so you do not pay any tax.
    If this is residential property, you can not claim the loss. If this is business property, you must report loss on schedule D (Form 1040). Your cost basis is the value of property (your share) on the date of inheritance. Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances

Mar 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    You sold property at a loss so you do not have any income from this sale so you do not pay any tax.
    If this is residential property, you can not claim the loss. If this is business property, you must report loss on schedule D (Form 1040). Your cost basis is the value of property (your share) on the date of inheritance. Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances
    Hello! - It is actually an undeveloped wooded lot, never used. Sold it to a neighbor.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 01:20 PM
    Agreed; no taxes are due on the LOSS from the sale.

Now you DO have to report the sale on Schedule D and SHOW the loss.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 28, 2012, 06:58 AM
    If your brother handled the estate, and you haven't been sought out by the IRS or the decedent's home state for taxes left unpaid, chances are all the inheritance and estate taxes were paid at the time the estate was settled. In my state, the estate can't be distributed without proof that all taxes have been paid including waivers issued by the state for the inheritance tax payments, so there shouldn't be any issues at all. Since it was an empty residential lot and not a commercial enterprise, just do as the others have said and report it on Schedule D. You're good to go. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loss on sale of inherited property [ 2 Answers ]

Im updating this question as I am currently dealing with a similar situation. My father passed away at the end of 2009 out of state. My uncle is the executor of the will and the home was deeded to me by the estate middle of 2011. My husband and I made repairs to the home and readied it for sale....

Sale of an Inherited Home at a Loss [ 4 Answers ]

In 2006, my wife and her brother inherited a home from her Dad. The estate is now closed. The home was assessed before the estate was closed. When we sell the home, we will probably incur a "loss", i.e. sell it at less than the assessed value. Is there any possibility for a tax deduction?...

Claiming a loss from the sale of inherited property [ 19 Answers ]

I have talked to at least a dozen different people, including four people at the IRS and two CPA's, and I can't seem to get an unequivocal answer to my question. I inherited my mother's house in late 2007 and sold it at a loss four and a half months later. I have a qualified appraisal to...

Capital Loss on Inherited Home Sale [ 0 Answers ]

I inherited my mother's home in June 2006 selling it in Mar 2008 at an approximately $85,000 loss. I called the IRS and was told the entire loss is fully deductible and not subject to the $3,000 normal limit. I'd appreciate knowing what IRS Topic or Publication would clarify this issue? Thanks

View more questions Search