Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sturoc Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2004, 10:52 PM
    Dso exploit altnet alexa
    Hey Gang,

I have ad-aware and when scanned I get the same 8 items showing up I try to delete(quarintine) but they keep showing up on subsequent scans something like "altnet.bde.."
    Also I have updated windows spk ( 2000 pro)and all spyware/ ad-aware programs and IE as well.Running Norton 2004 I E Security w/ antivirus
    I do not see pop-ups at all.
    But on rare occasion when going back to a previous web page a see a strange address in bottom bar for a millisecond.
    I always get to the previous pages w/ no problems.
    Is my PC being watched or hacked into?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    sturoc
    Kajoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2004, 06:43 AM
    DSO Exploit
    Hi Everybody,

This is the first time ever that I participate in a forum.
    And this "DSO Exploit" forum I found by accident.

In computer technics I am a layman and the background of the subject
    Doesnot say anything to me, even not if it is useful or a nuisance.
    I read some pages of all your communications about the subject.

Perhaps I can add something useful by telling that a Dutch spyware
    Removing site explicitly mentions something about DSO Exploit.
    This site is: http://www.hitmanpro.nl/
    When starting HitmanPro on your PC its downloaded software (freeware)
    It automatically cleans and protects your PC from spyware.
    During this procedure it connects automatically to couple of the main spyware removing sites (one after the other), such as: Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and others) while at same time it checks with each of these sites for any updates.Then each type of spyware remover scans your PC
    And removes found spyware.
    In the settings window (which shows with every time you use HitmanPro) you can switch off the DSO Exploit by checking the specific box for same.
    The site and setting window are in the Dutch language and in need case
    I can add an English translation over here.
    The software also includes McAfee Stinger, which is in fact a virus scanner
    And I unchecked the box in the setting window.
    Further one should be aware of the fact that HitmanPro considers Google
    As a Pop-Up and it is being removed from your browser (if put there).
    You can avoid same by unchecking the box "Switch off browser extensions
    of third parties".

Coming back now to the original subject I am confident that this HitmanPro
    Is a better and simpler tool than searching through registers and other types of vulnerable software especially for computer laymen.

Rgds
    marcoso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2004, 07:46 AM
    Hey all,

Just like to say that I'm experiencing a similar problem. I assume DSO Exploit is the cause as new windows with empty HTML are being opened by IE. Don't know if its all right to mention the address that appears on this forum but it contains the number 540 and the letters scmg. This should be obvious to anyone experiencing the same.

It seems the consensus is that DSO Exploit is harmless, but this is worrying me. I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Ad-aware and Spybot are also installed.

Can anybody tell me if I'm right to be worried and if so how to deal with this definitively.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 14, 2004, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoso
    just like to say that I'm experiencing a similar problem. I assume DSO Exploit is the cause as new windows with empty HTML are being opened by IE. Don't know if its alright to mention the address that appears on this forum but it contains the number 540 and the letters scmg. This should be obvious to anyone experiencing the same.
    I'm not familiar with what you're experiencing, but unless your computer was compromised before you got the DSO exploit patch (doubtful), then the DSO exploit has nothing to do with your problem.

Maybe this will be of help:
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/t-78538.html

~psi42
    deicide Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2004, 01:10 AM
    From what I've read DSO is a rather harmless spy anymore, if you've got all your windows updates and sp2 then it shouldn't be a problem, I however am still using spybot v1.3 not the new beta version, and I can't load the sp2 on to my program for umm lets just my secerity reasons lol anyway if your using spybot, then you will have to delete this problem via the registry, I tested it and no, spybot is unable to remove is. There is a program that can do it for you if you don't want to mess with your registry.

Personally I don't like anything on my PC that I don't put there or isn't needed for the system to run properly, so I hit up the registry.

This is my one and only post so admins may remove me. Thanks.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 15, 2004, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deicide
    from what ive read DSO is a rather harmless spy anymore
    It's not spyware, it's a security vulnerability.

:)
    ~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DSO Exploit [ 6 Answers ]

My computer (XP) switched off automatically. After running spypot; I found out the computer was infected by DSO Exploit. I treid all kind off salutions but without any succes. At last I decided to run the recoverydisc. During recovery the PC allso keeps switching of. Now my PC cannot run XP...

DOS Exploit [ 10 Answers ]

I ran spybot and came up with DOS exploit.  I've tried a few of the tips previous users gave but it is still showing up.  I have the CWShredder but I have no idea what to do with it.  The computer guys at my school installed all these items and didn't explain what they do.  I don't want to do...

Removing Alexa Related & DSO Exploit affect Office [ 0 Answers ]

I removed Alexa Related & DSO Exploit using Spybot. Now when I click on Numbering options on MS Office, it gives an error. Could this be related & if so, what precautions can I take in future. I can restore the deleted entries from Spybot, but that defeats the purpose Thanks Sena

Altnet, Brilliant Digital, and Kazaa [ 3 Answers ]

What is the scoop on these 3 entities? Legit or corrupt? I know Kazaa is probably as illegal as Napster, but how about Altnet and Brilliant Digital? Are they legitimate, futuristic companies exemplifying what downloading content legally from the Internet might become?

View more questions Search