Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spreetham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 11:13 AM
    F-1 for more than 5 years
    I came to USA in JULY 2000 and graduated with an MS in Dec 2002. Was on OPT all of 2003 and started my second Masters in Jan 2004. I worked as a research assistant at school and in 2006 got an internship in MAY and worked on CPT. I continued working full time as an intern through fall 2006 and also went to school full time in fall. The company I worked for did my H1 and my H1 started in Nov 2006. I am confused about my tax status and as to what forms I need to fill out.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:17 AM
    You need to file as a resident alien for BOTH 2005 and 2006.

The five-year period where you would file as a non-resident alien under the F-1 visa expired on 31 Dec 04.
    spreetham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
    That means I need to file 1040 or 1040ez and can't claim the standard deduction. Am I correct?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
    No, you CAN claim the standard deduction for both 2005 and 2006.

If you need professional tax advice, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying for 2 years [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying for almost two years. But the doctors dignose me a large fibroid on my uterus. I don't think this is the cause but I decided to remove the fibroid and pray my god. Please tell me if you have anything like this also caused infertility/

5 years... [ 11 Answers ]

I've held on to someone for almost 5 years I can't let him go, I even sabatoge his new relationships(not on purpose) he visited me his girlfriend got mad and dumped him I talk to him almost everyday online but I can't tell him so I just don't say anything. I can't kepp going on like this. Should...

Been together for 7 years. [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my fiancée for 7 years and now I have recently found out that he had cheated on me with 3 different girls. We have 3 beautifull daughters and I currently don't work. When I found out the details two of the chicks were when I was living with my folks out of state for a while and...

So what that we are 30 years apart! [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend is 60 and I'm 30. We have been together for 2 happy years. My family is OK with the 30 year age diffrence but it is the public that seems to have the problem. When people look at us right in the face rudley should I say something or just enjoy being with the man I love. It's hard......

View more questions Search