Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    think_pink Posts: 124, Reputation: 5

Feb 20, 2007, 10:50 AM
    About thermal energy
    So here a friend of mine is doing a project and she needs help

Thermal energy is an important source of heat in today's world given the price of oil and gas.

Research how thermal energy can heat your house or place of work? Where does this energy come from? How does the heating system work? Why is thermal energy important for the future of our country? Who is promoting thermal energy use?

Thanks what ever u guyz know will help my friend thanks
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Hey, some of your questions show a lack of understanding to me, hopefully I can clear those up.

Firstly "thermal energy" is a poorly defined phrase, and isn't used in scientific context very often. Do you mean internal energy? Or do you mean heat?

I assume you mean internal energy, which can be measured as temperature.

How does it heat your place of work? Well the second law of thermodynamics states that heat flows from a hotter body to a cooler body, which means that it flows from a body with higher internal energy to one with a lower internal energy. This is why hot things get colder and cold things get hotter when you leave them at room temperature. So, in the case of a radiator, it had hot water in it, which transfers heat to the cold metal radiator, which then transfers heat to the air in the room.

Now, where does the energy comes from. Generally for a boiler that heats a house, there is some fuel that is used (gas, coal, wood) that is burnt, this turns the chemical energy stored in the fuel into heat energy, which is then absorbed into water and piped through your radiators to keep you warm.

Your other questions don't make much sense. Without "thermal energy" we would all be dead.

Hope this helps a little bit
    think_pink Posts: 124, Reputation: 5

Feb 20, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Hey thanks!! Can't wait to tell my friend! She'll be happy to see those
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Good question think_pink, and a good answer by capuchin. Are you asking about GEO-THERMAL? (using the eath as a heat exchanger)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermal Fuse [ 3 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool le2500xtw1 dryer, I bought used.it worked fine for about a month, then one day it would run but not heat. First thing I did was get a new element. But the problem was the thermal fuse was blown. The replacement package had a new thermostat as well as the fuse. After a few days of...

How to replace thermal cutoff switch [ 1 Answers ]

Want to know the location of thermal cutoff switch on Y Magic chef electric dryer so that I can replace with new one. Model # YE/YG225LV

Which thermal compound do I use? [ 1 Answers ]

29 November 2005. 0208 Hrs. U.S. Central time. FM: OilMan6 SUBJECT: Which thermal compound do I use? I just bought an ABIT motherboard, an Intel P4 CPU, And a thermaltake heatsink.

Thermal efficiency of jet engine [ 0 Answers ]

What is the best thermal efficiency of jet engines? Example: gasoline engines are about 30% efficient, diesel 50%, high bypass turbofan??

View more questions Search