Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boomyal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
    Question regarding an asset in a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
    I am curious how a personal chapter 7 Bankruptcy Court would treat an asset that has value but is not marketable? Specifically, this asset is a percentage ownership in a partnership that owns one parcel of property. There are 5 partners in the Partnership with the voting power of one partner, one vote.

Any owner of the percentage in question would/does not have any sole power to direct the partnership. The Percentage has the ultimate value of its portion of the Property Parcel but neither a new owner, of that Percentage, nor the Bankruptcy Court could force a liquidation of the Property Parcel.

If the Court tried to liquidate the Percentage to satisfy creditors, no one in their right mind would pay par value for the Percentage OR even want to get locked in at all.

Might the Trustee ever appeal to the other Partners, to cash out the Percentage in question? And if so, would the Court have the savvy to know that not even an existing Partner would have any incentive to pay any where near par value for the Percentage?

----OR----

Might the Court just offer the Percentage to a creditor (forcing an unrelated partner into the Partnership)
    And tell him he has to go with the flow and wait for the Partnership to exercise its will.

----OR----

Might the Court let the Defendant keep the Percentage as an exempt asset? The Defendant has listed this asset in the Exempt Asset category but I am sure that the Court will want to learn more about this asset and even possibly demand to see the Partnership Agreement to determine the scope of this asset. I'll also add that the Defendant has grossly under declared the value of the asset.

Check out some similar questions!

During chapter 13 bankruptcy receive inheritance, opt out of bankruptcy and pay off? [ 3 Answers ]

I am six months into a chapter 13 bankruptcy and I have received an inheritance. My bankruptcy is about 60% payout of my total debt of $90K. My inheritance is about 50% of what I owe. Should I opt out of the bankruptcy and try to negotiate with the credit card companies for a payoff for about 50%...

Will me income tax refund be affected by chapter 7 no asset case [ 1 Answers ]

Will the trustee take my income tax check I make about $28000 with 3 children that I claim as exemptions thoroughout the year nad file for EIC at tax time?

Bankruptcy Chapter 7 [ 3 Answers ]

How long will I have to wait for my discharged papers to purchase a car if I was discharged Monday? Can I purchase a new car?

Chapter 13 bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

May Have To Do A Chapetr 13 To Safe My House I Have Spoken To A Lawyer About All This But What Gets Me Is I Still Have To Pay My 1500.00 Morg Which I Just Can't Do And That's What Got Me Into This Mess In The First Place. We Have Been In This House 10 Years Now And Did A Refi 4 Years Ago.it...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.