Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    15dog13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Mar 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
    Babysitting two young girls
    I am 13 and am babysitting 2 girls tomorrow their ages are 1.5 and 2.5. I have been a helper and I watch young children with their mother every week sometimes twice a week at church, but tomorrow I am watching those two girls and I am stumped on what to do with them. All the kids I have ever watch by myself were ether older or younger. What should I do with them? I enjoy watching kids but I have never done it 100% by myself any ideas? Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
    If you don't feel capable, don't attempt it, my advice. It is a big responsibility of children so young until you take some appropriate babysitting courses.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
    I agree with my colleague, Tickle. If you don't know the girls well enough to know their interest level, what they can do, what they enjoy doing, you should not be babysitting with them.

The mother should find another babysitter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 02:33 PM
    I 100 percent agree, until you are ready you should not be doing this.
    Kalijean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
    If you need something for them to do go online and search an arts and crafts project for them to do. Or you cann take them to the park (if it's warm and if the parents say you can)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalijean View Post
    If you need something for them to do go online and search an arts and crafts project for them to do. Or you cann take them to the park (if it's warm and if the parents say you can)
    At 1 and 2 years of age, I'm curious to know what sort of arts and crafts these babies would be capable of doing.

I would not trust a young child to take my two babies (and that's what these children she's sitting for are) to the park without an adult present.

I agree with the others. If you can't handle this, which you obviously can't, then let the parents know so that they can find a sitter that is comfortable dealing with very young children.
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalijean View Post

The babysitter is a child herself (whether or not she wants to hear that). There is absolutely no way she can handle two small children in a park, by herself.

This is bad advice, indeed.

I am not aware of any arts and crafts projects for very small children. They are undoubtedly happy playing with their toys.

I would not allow a 12-year old, inexperienced or experienced, to babysit with two two small children.
    Uncanny. Posts: 9, Reputation: -1

Mar 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
    What is really fun is having a "party". You start by making a fort with all the cushions you can find and play maze. Then, as the fort disintegrates, you turn it into a dance party. You have to really be into it, move around and have fun yourself if you want this to amuse them. I guarantee after than comes either snack time or nap time or both (giving you time to clean up the living room).

The sort of crafts they can do is colouring, preferably with those big wax crayons. They also probably have a favourite movie they will watch only 1/3 of before wanting to do something else. You can also just do the regular play dough games or giant puzzles. There is no problem in asking their parents what their favourite games are. It's actually reassuring for a parent to know the babysitter is interested in playing rather than simply watching.

I disagree that you shouldn't try because the situation is new to you. How can you learn if you don't? And you certainly are doing the right thing planning ahead. Very responsible of you.
    MiniHunter Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
    I'm 13 myself and I babysat a 8 month old baby on my own, I've been babysitting for the past year and with that young of an age there's no so much you can do so I gave him a few toys played with him and he feLl asleep, you could maybe give the 2 year old a colouring book and the one year old some toys and play with the two of them then make a fort with blankets and pillows (nothing hard or harmful) and put toys and books in it and play, you'll start to feel more comfortable and will more than likely know what to do by then
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2012, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny. View Post
    I disagree that you shouldn't try because the situation is new to you. How can you learn if you don't? And you certainly are doing the right thing planning ahead. Very responsible of you.

I think it's a mistake for a parent to allow a 13 year old to babysit by herself with two babies/toddlers so that she can learn whatever she needs to learn.

My children are not training tools.

So what happens to the children if the OP fails the learning process?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniHunter View Post
    I'm 13 myself and I babysat a 8 month old baby on my own, I've been babysitting for the past year and with that young of an age there's no so much you can do so I gave him a few toys played with him and he feLl asleep, you could maybe give the 2 year old a colouring book and the one year old some toys and play with the two of them then make a fort with blankets and pillows (nothing hard or harmful) and put toys and books in it and play, you'll start to feel more comfortable and will more than likely know what to do by then

Good advice - and realistic.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2012, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I think it's a mistake for a parent to allow a 13 year old to babysit by herself with two babies/toddlers so that she can learn whatever she needs to learn.

My children are not trainin tools.

So what happens if the OP fails the learning process?
    I agree with this. I babysat at a young age, but I had 5 siblings, had been working with children in a church daycare for a year and also completed babysitting courses and Basic Aid training. At these children's ages, I would not be building any forts or playing with anything that can be easily swallowed (crayons, playdough, etc.) The older one is probably OK with crayons and whatnot, but seeing as the little one is around as well, and you are inexperienced in dealing with the two at once, I would say steer clear of those things. I think that you should sit with older children and probably go into some courses before attempting two babies at the same time. 2.5 is a difficult age for even parents to handle, and adding another (probably mobile) child into the mix is going to be very difficult for someone with little to no experience. IMO - Explaining this to the parent is only going to make them respect you more and consider you for future work when you ARE ready, simply for your honesty. As a parent, I know I would not want someone who is unsure to "train" on my kids.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2012, 06:43 AM
    I hadn't even thought about the "what will they swallow?" aspect. Good advice, indeed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Babysitting jobs for 12 year old girls? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 12 year old girl who needs a babysitting job I am good with newborns to 7 months and children 5 and older. PLEASE HELP!

What is it with young girls? [ 28 Answers ]

I know there are SOME girls out there that are mature and don't do this but for the most part it seems that most girls when they turn 19 or so go on this bad streak. They feel like partying hard, being rebellious and just being wild in general. So much to the point that they will throw away a...

View more questions Search