Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    So what are you suggesting? You say are comments aren't going to cure the burns....so then are you saying we can make comments that will cure the burns?

Our words have magic!
    Magic words! If only!

"Heal thyself silly salt and ice challenge followers. Grow a brain and heal thyself, walk away from the stupidity! Oops...too late".
    Macyy13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
    I'm not saying that at all actually, what I was getting at is telling them they're stupid doesn't really do anything at all... If they're going to do it again, they're going to do it again, if they learned their lesson they learned their lesson and won't. What I'm saying is, maybe instead of commenting about how stupid everyone is, maybe at least trying to add something of actual significance...
    Pets Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Macyy13 View Post
    I'm not saying that at all actually, what i was getting at is telling them they're stupid doesnt really do anything at all... If they're going to do it again, they're going to do it again, if they learned their lesson they learned their lesson and wont. What im saying is, maybe instead of commenting about how stupid everyone is, maybe at least trying to add something of actual significance...
    We did. We told them to see a doctor. They have literally given themselves a burn. It's dangerous, could lead to infection, scarring, or worse. Most of them don't want to be told that they may have disfigured themselves for life, all because of a challenge they saw on the internet.

The thing is, we get at least 2 or more posts like this a day. After a while you just want to smack your head up against the wall. There can't be this many people out there that aren't smart enough to refrain from doing something that can seriously harm them.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
    As well these are people who have been through basic science. They should know by now that salt lowers the melting point of water. When the ice melts normally around the freezing point. So putting a normal ice cube on you will not have much of an affect. Your skin will be cold and you could get minor ice burns. When you add salt than the melting point is significantly lower. So the water on your skin is a good 30F/16C colder than normal water. So you have REALLY cold water on arm, this will bring the temperature of the cells on the surface down below the level of survival.

That is kind the same thing that happens if you touch something REALLY hot.

This is basic science. Honestly, after the Cinnamon test and whatever other goofy test they think up, if they're STILL doing this than it is really their own damn fault.

The best advice we can offer is that they tell their parents that they're dumba$$es and get medical treatment as well as suffer any consequences of their actions.

I am honestly waiting for the rubber band around the testicle test. Put a rubber band around your testicles, whoever can last the longest wins. Don't look up neutering sheep with elastics.
    BennyBoi223344 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 11:44 PM
    I have this extremely expensive small jar of SSD (Silver-Dine Burn cream) After doing this stupid thing, I washed my skin off with cold water (Idiot much?) and then applied said cream to the burn. In the morning half of the blister was gone. Applying lotion helps a lot! It doesn't matter witch kind, but it helps. Don't do this, or you're a dumb idiot if you do.
    MeggyPie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2013, 04:59 PM
    I've done the salt and ice challenge on my arm 3 or 4 times and once on the back of my leg. There are 2 which aren't as bad and the one on the back of my leg isn't as bad the other one . One of them has got slightly worse than the rest but I don't know what to do. I've heard from people who have done it before and they have told me to clean the area and to rub some cream such as salvon to cool the affected area down and to wrap it with a bandage. Take the bandage off and every night and morning to put cream to sooth the area. For the pain take some pain killers, there will be scars depending on how long you have held the ice on for and the amount of salt you put on. It should take up to about 1 week depending on the length of time you held the ice of for. If it gets worse go and consult a doctor for advise and they may advise you to do something else for it.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MeggyPie View Post
    I've done the salt and ice challenge on my arm 3 or 4 times and once on the back of my leg....
    I weep for the coming generations.
    Pets Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    I weep for the coming generations.
    You and me both.

I have two kids, one 14, one 10, and they've read this thread, because I wanted to make sure they knew how bad this was. I even googled pictures of what happens after you do this "challenge".

My son, the 14 year old, actually looked shocked when he read this. He said "How can anyone be this stupid? Why? I don't understand why anyone would do this. I just don't get it".

Thank Dog!

So Craven, don't lose hope, there are teens out there that do have some sense. My daughter does as well. I know they aren't the only ones, we're just seeing the few that don't have the sense God gave a goat.
    Bostonforever95 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane647 View Post
    It was actually one of the dumbest things I've done..
    I did it with my friend, and I had mine on for 2 minutes. It was nasty afterwards. To reduce swelling and redness, you're going to want to soak it in warm water for about 5-10 minutes depending on how long you had the ice-cube on for. It may burn for a minute when you do this, but it works and makes it less noticeable. After, dry it, and rub some Polysporin on the burn gently, then gently rub on some Extra strength skin lotion. I do this before I go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning. This is like a one and done thing. Try not to do it all the time. It is very painful. Hope this helps! Oh and if your wondering how long it takes to heal, it depends on how long you have the ice-cube on for. If its on for a few seconds, maybe 2-3 days. But over a minute, approximately 3-4 weeks. It all depends.
    Remember to take care of it. If the skin breaks, rub the polysporin on and rap gozz on it, or a band-aid, to prevent swelling. If it gets worse, etc; Turns purple, extreme pain or gets oozy, contact a doctor for an appointment.
    Take care!
    I did for three minutes three separate times how long will it last?
    Bostonforever95 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 01:59 PM
    I did it for three minutes on the same spot three times. What should I do
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonforever95 View Post
    i did for three minutes three seperate times how long will it last?
    It's a burn. It needs to be treated by a doctor, and it will last as long as it lasts. There's no way for us to know how severe the burn is. I hope you at least did a pretty pattern, because this will likely scar for life.
    awesomegirl12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2013, 02:54 PM
    Ok everyone is saying they did it for a couple minutes now I feel dumb. I did it for 1 hour and a half. Please don't call me names but it has been around 2 weeks and now I have a big red mark on my arm. I really regret doing it. Then when I woke up I had a big bubble on my arm. It was gross!! But I was dumb and popped it. I cleaned the puss off but can someone please tell me the best way to heal this. Like I said please don't call me any names. I'm just really scared right now. :(
    Pets Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomegirl12 View Post
    Ok everyone is saying they did it for a couple minutes now i feel dumb. I did it for 1 hour and a half. Please dont call me names but it has been around 2 weeks and now i have a big red mark on my arm. I really regret doing it. Then when I woke up I had a big bubble on my arm. It was gross!!!!! But i was dumb and popped it. I cleaned the puss off but can someone please tell me the best way to heal this. Like I said please dont call me any names. I'm just really scared right now. :(
    You have a burn, that's what this challenge does. The fact that it bubbled is not a good sign, that's a severe burn. I've been there, not because of a stupid challenge, mine was from boiling tea spilling on my arm (my cousin bumped the table). I was 10 at the time. I'm now 42, and I still have the scars. I too popped the bubbles. Thankfully my mom took me to the doctor, and I avoided infection, or anything worse.

You really need to see a doctor about this. The main concern is infection. I know you're scared, and you probably don't want to tell your parents, but you have to. You need to see a doctor, if you don't it can be a lot worse than what you're dealing with now. Be prepared that no matter what, you'll likely have a scar for the rest of your life.

Doctor. That's what you need to do. Okay?
    iozhfdgi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2013, 01:05 PM
    I did it yesterday and woke up with a blister had no idea what the red thing was and simply pulled I have a red mark in the shape of the ice it really hurts and I told my mom I got stung by a bee and she knows the when I get stung it gets red and sort of swells but she would ask why I have gause on it any idea on how to do it with ou the gause?
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iozhfdgi View Post
    I did it yesterday and woke up with a blister had no idea what the red thing was and simply pulled I have a red mark in the shape of the ice it really hurts and i told my mom i got stung by a bee and she knows the when i get stung it gets red and sort of swells but she would ask why i have gause on it any idea on how to do it with ou the gause?
    Read this entire thread from the first page to the last. Frankly, I'm tired of saying the same thing over and over again, since none of the posters seem to listen anyway.

You have a burn! That's what this challenge does, it burns you! So read the entire thread. I won't keep posting the same advice over and over and over, just so another one comes along that was moronic enough to even do this challenge.

I'm going to go smack my head up against a wall now, which is still smarter than doing the salt and ice challenge. Sigh. :(
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:10 PM
    I did the fire and ice challenge yesterday and now I have a burn and the ice didn't help.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I did the fire and ice challenge yesterday and now I have a burn and the ice didn't help.
    I did the jump off the roof challenge, and flapping my arms really fast didn't work at all! The nurse at the hospital is writing this for me, because I'm in a full body cast. Boy I wish I hadn't been a sheep.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 6, 2013, 12:48 PM
    Because I am easily swayed and susceptible to peer pressure I did the <INSERT NAME> challenge and am suffering from <THE PREDICTABLE RESULT FROM AFOREMENTIONED CHALLENGE>. How can I deal with this?

Should be a common template. It would work perfectly.

I did the "USE 22 CALIBER BULLET FOR A FUSE IN A PICKUP TRUCK" Challenge. The bullet got too warm and fired into my reproductive organs. I am okay, but my doctor said I would never be able to procreate. What do I do?

I don't know about you, but I am rejoicing. :-)
    --------------------
    As a warning to EVERYONE. If someone is trying to get you to do the ****** challenge. Don't it will hurt. They will laugh at you. We will laugh at you. You're parents will weep over how gullible you are. (Which by the way isn't in the dictionary).
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2013, 02:32 PM
    Due to the fact that I am easily swayed and susceptible to peer pressure I did the <INSERT NAME> challenge and am suffering from <THE PREDICTABLE RESULT FROM AFOREMENTIONED CHALLENGE>. How can I deal with this?

I did the "USE 22 CALIBER BULLET FOR A FUSE IN A PICKUP TRUCK" Challenge. The bullet got too warm and fired into my reproductive organs. I am okay, but my doctor said I would never be able to procreate. What do I do?

--------------------
    As a warning to EVERYONE. If someone is trying to get you to do the ****** challenge. Don't it will hurt. They will laugh at you. we will laugh at you. You're parents will weep over how gullible you are. (Which by the way isn't in the dictionary).
    I am very tempted, but I refuse to get a dictionary in order to check your claim, because I'm not that gullible. ;)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 6, 2013, 03:33 PM
    Due to the fact that I am easily swayed and susceptible to peer pressure I did the <INSERT NAME> challenge and am suffering from <THE PREDICTABLE RESULT FROM AFOREMENTIONED CHALLENGE>. How can I deal with this?

--------------------
    As a warning to EVERYONE. If someone is trying to get you to do the ****** challenge. Don't it will hurt. They will laugh at you. we will laugh at you. You're parents will weep over how gullible you are. (Which by the way isn't in the dictionary).
    Nice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Salt and ice burn help! [ 10 Answers ]

So me and my friends were just messing around and pretending we were in this indian tribe thing (I know its immature don't comment about that) and to be apart of the tribe we had to go through a ceremony which required salt and ice! So me being the retarded tribe leader had to have it on the...

Ice/Salt = FrostBite? [ 18 Answers ]

I understand that when you pour salt on your upper fore arm, then apply (with pressure) a common ice cube for period of 1-3 min frostbite will occur. The amount of salt and the length of time play key factors in the severity of the so called... Reaction. I guess my question is how do you treat the...

Slat and ice frostbite issue [ 1 Answers ]

I've done this before to the back of my hand and hadn othing but slight redness and swelling along with minor iritation to the affected area being touched A friend of mine swore that it hsould be doing more and theat it was wosre on your inner for arm Did this to prove him wrong Anyway the...

Salt and ice [ 5 Answers ]

My friend says that salt and ice burn you skin on contact if I try it, I just want to now if it will :confused:

View more questions Search