Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandmamma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Elephant in the pipes?
    Help! My daughter's 20 year old, 3 level townhome has an elephant in the pipes! The 3rd. Floor toilet currently does not work and is shut off. The lower level toilet works fine. The problem is with the main level toilet. For about one month, immediately after flushing and lasting until the tank fills up again, there is a hideous, loud, almost shreiking, groaning sound that can be heard throughout the whole house. It really does sound like a sick elephant! BTW this toilet is only about two years old and has never had any problems until now. Any advice greatly appreciated!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2012, 03:29 PM
    Hi Grandmamma

Most likely the toilet FILL VALVE has something stuck in under the washer and it's causing the noise/vibration (elephant) you are hearing.

You can view this video to see how to access the washer or to replace the entire fill valve:

Otherwise, the issue is at the toilet angle shutoff... similar issue in that something might be stuck/vibrating and causing your issue. To fix this, the shutoff washer would need to be accessed and removed/replaced.

Let us know what you think, OK?

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
    You have a defective washer in either the fill valve or the stop valve underneath the toilet tank. Remove the toilet tank lid and tell us which type of fill valve you have.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
    My bet's on door #1. If you don't wish to replace the ball cock then answer Harolds question and we'll tell you how to get that elephant out of your bath room. Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A man and an elephant [ 4 Answers ]

In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University. On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one...

White Elephant [ 1 Answers ]

What's a good white elephant gift for a Christmas party? (Something that would be a hit, funny, wanted, etc.) How do I go about wrapping it and putting it in the pile of gifts to choose without people knowing it's mine?

Name of this book about a little elephant [ 2 Answers ]

Okay guys, I NEED to remember the name of this book... hopefully I can achieve this with a little help from all of you. It was a book I read in the 5th grade about an elephant... NOT Babar... it was a chapter book and I think the name of the little elephant was the name of the book and I THINK it...

Elephant extinction [ 3 Answers ]

What measures have been taken to preserve the african elephant population?

Dream of Elephant in my Subaru [ 5 Answers ]

I need some good dream interpreters to try this one: Early this morning I was dreaming about a young elephant, my dog (walker hound/lab cross) and my son out riding in my Subaru stationwagon and stopping by a lake for a breather. The young elephant was in the back seat with my dog and I walked...

View more questions Search