Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    important Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Applying for ITIN
    I am on H1B and my wife on H4. I shall be filing for taxes as married jointly. I have learned that my wife will need an ITIN since she is not eligible for SSN. Got a couple of queries regarding this.

1) How do I apply for ITIN... I read it somewhere that I need to fill W7, attach a notarised copy of my wife's passport and my W2 form and mail it to the address on the W7. I wanted to know whether I should attach a copy of my W2 or the original.

2) ITIN takes a couple of weeks.Is it too late for me to apply for ITIN now? What do you recommend and how do I go about filing taxes.

3)Will I have to wait till I receive my wife's ITIN before I file for federal income tax returns and state income tax returns?

4) Is it compulsory for me to apply for ITIN? If not, how do I file the taxes.

5) Which 1040 form should I fill and what should be written under exemption? Do I need to select me and spouse. Also, do I need to write my wife's name under dependents.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
    1) The W-7 with the notarized photocopy of the passport is submited WITH the jointly-filed tax return, so, yes, a copy of the W-2 is needed.

2) Actually, it will take about four weeks for the return to be processed and six weeks to get the ITIN back in the mail. This is from the mailing date, as such returns must be mailed!

3) See 1 above for federal return. Yes, you must wait until you get the ITIN before you can file the state tax return.

4) Yes, if you want to file jointly with your wife or claim your wife as a dependent.

5) If you have no children, you can probably get by with Form 1040EZ. Fill in your wife's name under yours and leave the SSN area blank to file jointly. If, for some reason, you want to just claim your wife as a dependent, then you must use Form 1040A, leaving the SSN area blank in section #6.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Applying for Portuguese citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

My father holds a Portuguese citizenship and passport and is now living with me in Canada. His wish is to reside in Portugual and as his daughter, I need me to look after him as he his old (76 years). I am a Canadian citizen holding Canadian passport and wish to apply for my portuguese...

Reason for applying W7 [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is citizen of india. He is in India. He registered a company in Michigan, US. He wants to fill out the W7 to open a bank account in US. There are 8 choices he can choose. Out of those only #1,#2 and #8 are for non US residents. He is not sure which option to follow. Could you please help...

Applying for ITIN for spouse while filing taxes & Child tax credit exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am aftab and my wife and kid joined me in 2006, as they are on H4 they are not eligible for a SSN so I need to apply for an ITIN. Please explain the process as to Should I be sending my returns filled in manually along with the application for ITIN for my spouse and kid? Will the...

Applying for Jobs [ 12 Answers ]

Hey Everyone, Well I'm applying for summer jobs at a bunch of fast-food restaurants that are highering. I just wanted to know how long does it normally take for them to call you back? Thanks!

View more questions Search