Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jan1236 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
    Husband deceased, but not sure if I am beneficiary
    My husband passed away and left a 401k, I am not sure if he left me as beneficiary so can you please tell me the steps I need to take.

Thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 12:03 PM
    Who is the 401 invested with? Did he leave a will?
    jan1236 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
    Husband deceased but not sure if I am beneficiary.
    Husband deceased, not sure if I am the beneficiary. He left no will and 401k was with diamond back deliveries company in tempe, az and they went out of business due to bankrupty. Need information and steps to take to get funds.
    Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Call the 401(k) plan administrator and ask how to proceed. Check recent account statements - there should be a contact phone number provided. In general the process is you will have to provide a certified copy of the death certificate, and then the account is retitled for the beneficiary (or beneficiaries). The administrator can also tell you what your options are - you should have options to roll the 401(k) to an IRA in your name (and hence continue to take advantage of tax-deferred growth), or take a lump sum, and some plans will allow you tp manitain the 401(k) but now in your name. Keep in mind that if you take a lump sum and do not roll it to your own IRA you will owe income taxes on the distribution.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 01:38 PM
    I answered your other (similar) question here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/retire...ry-645318.html

The fact that he left no will has no direct bearing on what happens with the 401(k), assuming that he identified a beneficiary (or beneficiaries) for it. If he did not, then since he died intestate the 401(k) is distributed in accordance with the laws of AZ for intestate inheritance. If he has children then the estate will be split between his you and the children.

The fact that the company went bankrupt shouldn't matter, since in fact the 401(k) plan administrator is typically a financial firm such as a bank, insurance company, or investment firm like Fidelity, Vanguard, or Schwab. As I mentioned in the other post, you need to find out who the administrator is and call them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
    He should have been getting a statement at least once a year. Have you gone though all of the important papers>
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2012, 09:10 AM
    Go to Bankruptcy Court and look through the file. The 401K would have been listed with the pertinent info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beneficiary of deceased parent 401k [ 3 Answers ]

My deceased mother wanted to leave me and my siblings money from her 401k. She was married when she passed, but her husband was incarcerated. Does he lose all rights to the 401k?

Stocks from my deceased husband [ 2 Answers ]

My husband passed leaving me stocks in a company that is now in bankruptcy. I have been told if the company is in bankruptcy that I cannot sell.

Nightmares of deceased husband [ 4 Answers ]

My husband passed away 1 1/2 years of horrific brain cancer... he was bed ridden the last 8 months of his life... We had a great marriage and relationship for 30 years... I am now dating someone who I am in love with... Ever since my husband's death, I've had this reoccuring nightmare that my...

My wife was named as beneficiary. She is deceased. Do I replace her in will? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife was named as a beneficiary in a will, but has since passed away. Do I inherit in her place?

Beneficiary of deceased inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

What is the duration of any document required by united states laws

View more questions Search