Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marianj Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 04:59 AM
    In ira shore critical literacy what do the 6 examples of literacy mean?
    Critical literacy thus challenges the status quo in an effort to discover alternative paths for self and social development. This kind of literacy--words rethinking worlds, self dissenting in society--connects the political and the personal, the public and the private, the global and the local, the economic and the pedagogical, for rethinking our lives and for promoting justice in place of inequity. Critical literacy, then, is (1) an attitude towards history, as Kenneth Burke might have said; or (2) a dream of a new society against the power now in power, as Paulo Freire proposed; or (3) an insurrection of subjugated knowledge, in the ideas of Michel Foucault; or (4) a counter-hegemonic structure of feeling, as Raymond Williams theorized; or (5) a multicultural resistance invented on the borders of crossing identities, as Gloria Anzaldua imagined; or (6) language used against fitting unexceptionably into the status quo, as Adrienne Rich declared.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 21, 2012, 05:49 AM
    Essentially, all six mean achieving a level of literacy that allows for critical thinking to take place as follows:
    1. In reviewing history with the thought in mind that there were reasons for the events that must be understood and that the outcome has repercussions in current day.
    2. The ability to put together ideas from various sources to begin to see alternatives to the current situation.
    3. To avoid being stuck in a rut of thought processes that preclude originality and merely follow a prescribed path.
    4. To be aware enough to engage in social uprisings against the established bureaucracy--one must understand the repercussions as well as history in order to engage in social uprising.
    5. To be able to understand the differences between cultural identities (Anzaldua is a feminist writer, writing on women's and lesbian issues) in order to cross the boundaries between them.
    6. And the ability to use and understand language well enough to grasp the concepts put forth by socio-political writers such as Rich, who is a feminist writing some outstanding, ground-breaking poetry in defense of women.

I hope that helps.
    marianj Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
    Thank you that was very helpful.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 22, 2012, 05:47 AM
    Glad I could help. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can be done in order to increase financial literacy levels in India? [ 1 Answers ]

Which type of steps should be taken by the government?

Information Literacy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My name is zazapoo and I'm having problem with few qustions that I'm unable to find answers and please can you help... Here is question number 1. What is the call number of the oldest copy of rnad's capitalism, the Unknown Ideal A) HB501.R25 B)HB105.R25 C) PS3535.A547Z475 1996 D)...

Civic Literacy Not So Good. [ 19 Answers ]

As an example of how little people know about US civics, check out these statistics: What's worse, our elected officials fare worse than the general public! How well would you do on the quiz? No googling! :)

Second language literacy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Can anybody tell me what would the main characteristics of second language literacy are? ;D Thanxs

View more questions Search