Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GAUTAM RAY CHAUDHURY Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Nitrogen gas cylinders
    Gas weight and charged pressure of nitrogen cylinders available in Indian market? Can the gas from nitrogen cylinder bank be used for purging of Reheating furnaces (during emergency shut down) at a much lower pressure through pressure regulator and distribution pipework?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 05:45 AM
    We never purged with nitrogen, and during Emergency shut down the nitrogen must be turned off, what kind of furnace are we talking about? What is the application?

Feb 22, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Do not agree to your reply.My query is regarding Reheating furnaces, operational in Steel plants, where fuel used are natural gas/mixed gas/converter gas etc.Purging with inert gas like nitrogen is essensial to remove the traces of fuel gas.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 07:14 AM
    I worked 30 years in a steel mill as a mechanic and I stand by my response as standard procedure for shutting down a furnace and venting with air for 30 minutes. I have worked on all types of furnaces from aneealing to galvanizine to normalizing and trust me, We never purge with nitrogen. That is why I ask the specific application and what type of furnace we are dealing with.

Mar 29, 2007, 11:35 PM
    Please note that Nitrogen is used for purging the gas headers in various zones. Nitrogen is introduced after zone shut-off valves(remains closed during shut down).Discharge from the headers after purging the various zone heders is collected in the common header vented outside the roof of the building.This is regarding slab reheating furnaces , applicable for Hot strip mill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Volume of nitrogen [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cylinder whose liquid volume is 9.2 litres. It is to be filled with pure Nitrogen at a pressure of 150 bar. What will be the volume of the Nitrogen gas filled in Cu.feet and Cu. metres? What will be the weight of the filled gas?

Liquid nitrogen [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get liqid nitrogen in Union City, CA or Fremont,CA or Newark, CA or in Hayward, CA

Liquid nitrogen [ 8 Answers ]

Does any body know where I can get some liquid nitrogen in Alabama

Volume Nitrogen Gas Question [ 1 Answers ]

How would I solve this problem? The decomposition of sodium azide (NaN3) solid to sodium liquid and nitrogen gas is used in air bags. What volume of nitrogen gas measured at 725 mm of Hg and 26 degrees celsius is produced when 75 g of sodium azide (molar mass= 65.01 g/mol) decomposes?

View more questions Search