Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
    It was very hard to see my friend today. She was emaciated, probably down to 70 lbs, not breathing on her own, and so doped on morphine she had no idea who we were. She couldn't talk, and I'm not sure she was even mentally aware of anything but her pain. There were others there to lean on and share our love together, so it wasn't as bad as I thought, but my heart still broke and I had to stop at a park on the way home and just watch the lake with Boo for a while to pull myself together.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I'm just awaiting word now that she's passed... I will be very surprised if she makes it past tonight.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:42 PM
    I'm so sorry Synn. Going through something like that is painful to everyone, not just the person with the disease. She is a very lucky woman to have such a good friend like you.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
    Continued thoughts and prayers Synn... for you, for her, and for her family and friends. May she pass peacefully.
    Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:48 PM
    And... I just got word that she's passed.

Oh, how the heart breaks when someone dear to you is lost.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 08:44 PM
    I am so sorry Syn. May she be blessed.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    And...I just got word that she's passed.

Synn, I'm so very very sorry. I wish I could give you a hug, give you a shoulder.

Words don't really help at times like these. All the "I'm sorry" and "she's in a better place", or "She's at peace", don't mean a damn thing when you lose someone you love.

Alcohol helps, and plenty of it, but I wouldn't recommend that long term. Crying helps, until you cry to the point where you have no tears left. The one thing that helps the most is talking about it. Not just how you're feeling now, but talking about the good times, the memories you have.

Truth is, all the words don't help, but they're true. We are all sorry, and she is in a better place, even if you don't believe in God. She is at peace and her pain is no more. It's those that she left behind that will now carry the pain, will now carry the burden of her loss. But she, she can finally rest. For that, be thankful. For the rest, well, you can keep her alive, if not in person, then in your thoughts, your memories, in your heart. You have that power.

So cry, yell, get mad. You have every right to be mad that she was taken. You have every right to cry. But, while you're crying, remember one of the good times you shared, and smile because of it. In that way she will live on, because she had a friend, you. You will keep her alive in your heart.

If you think about it, that's how all of us will go on. Because at one point, every single one of us will join her. We'll all leave this earth. Only the memories of us will go on. So smile at those memories. She's no longer in pain, and I doubt that any friend of yours would want you to feel pain because of her. She'd want you to smile. Wouldn't she? I know she would!

Hugs.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Alty, you are so wonderful with words. I wish I could express my sympathy as beautiful as you do.

Synn, I am so very sorry for your loss. Losing someone we love is never easy. I've often wondered if it's easier if they pass suddenly or if it's a long term illness. I've come to the conclusion that neither is easier on those left behind.

As Alty put it so well, remember the good times, keep her alive in your mind and heart.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 09:14 PM
    Sometimes I feel that I am much better with pets than with people, but I won't let that stop me from expressing my sympathy.
    Alty and J_9 have put it so well. My thoughts are with you I know today couldn't have easy for you, I've stood by that bedside myself and have felt my heart break into.
    But it will mend and your friend will always remain a part of it.
    God bless
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Sometimes I feel that I am much better with pets than with people, but I won't let that stop me from expressing my sympathy.
    Alty and J_9 have put it so well. My thoughts are with you I know today couldn't have easy for you, I've stood by that bedside myself and have felt my heart break into.
    But it will mend and your friend will always remain a part of it.
    God bless
    Pets can be easier, and then at the same time, just as hard. No loss is easy. The only thing that's constant, inevitable, is that we'll all lose someone at one time or another. We'll all be lost at one time or another. Nothing is forever.

I've stood beside more bedsides than I care to remember. Bedsides of people I didn't think I'd survive losing, and I still don't know how I did survive that loss.

My parents, Aunts, grandparents, and pets (which are family to me). My parents were the hardest, but every single loss was hard. None of them left me immune to death. Not one of them left me without a scar to show for it.

To this day I still miss every person and animal I lost. Their death, their loss, is still very much a part of me. But, I go on. Somehow I go on, as we all do. As Synn will do.

It sucks, it sucks big time, but I've been told that that's life. Doesn't make it suck any less though.
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 02:53 AM
    Thank you all. I'm glad she's no longer in pain, but I'm going to miss her so very much. She was a mentor, a surrogate mother when mine was far away, and a sarcastic soul who made me laugh when it felt like my world was upside down.

And she went downhill so quickly that the chicken soup I made for her is still frozen in my freezer because we could never work out a time to get together when she was still well enough to eat it. I really do not want to go to work today--I'd rather either stay home and cuddle my family close or get together with others that loved my Lizard-Breath.

Stupid damned work ethic.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2012, 05:23 AM
    I'm sorry for your loss and that you didn't get to see her. She sounds like a wonderful friend.

Remember that you have suffered a loss and be kind to yourself.
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 04:45 PM
    I just wanted to let everyone know that we lost Jasper today. We took him to the vet, there was nothing more they could do, and we made the decision to end his suffering.

Thank you everyone for being here for me when I needed you. I really appreciate all the support during this time.

We're on our way to Rod's cousins place, he owns a pet cremation business. Our second trip in 5 months. This doesn't feel real. I don't really believe it, but sadly, it's true.

R.I.P. Jasper. We love you so much, and we did the best thing we could for you. We ended your pain, your suffering. I hope you understand, and I hope that you're running around with Indy as we speak. I will see you again. I promise you.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    And...I just got word that she's passed.

So very sorry Synn... I can only imagine. I have no doubt that her spirit knew of the love and compassion that surrounded her.
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that we lost Jasper today. We took him to the vet, there was nothing more they could do, and we made the decision to end his suffering.

Thank you everyone for being here for me when I needed you. I really appreciate all the support during this time.

We're on our way to Rod's cousins place, he owns a pet cremation business. Our second trip in 5 months. This doesn't feel real. I don't really believe it, but sadly, it's true.

R.I.P. Jasper. We love you so much, and we did the best thing we could for you. We ended your pain, your suffering. I hope you understand, and I hope that you're running around with Indy as we speak. I will see you again. I promise you.
    Oh, Alty... I'm so very sorry. My heart breaks for you and your family.

My deepest condolences on your loss. I wish I had more than those simple words to give you, but eloquence fails me. I wish I could be there to hug you and hold you and cry with you, but alas.

Know you are within my thoughts. Love you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2012, 05:20 AM
    Oh my gosh! Jasper - oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine your grief.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Apr 22, 2012, 05:36 AM
    Aww sorry Alty.

How do I stop getting emails from threads? I unsubscribed from any emails, and I un-alerted from all the topics I used to post in. I'm still getting "New post in Womens Health" etc.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniCalifornia View Post
    Aww sorry Alty.

How do I stop getting emails from threads? I unsubscribed from any emails, and I un-alerted from all the topics I used to post in. I'm still getting "New post in Womens Health" etc.
    Dani, go to your 'settings'. There is a section for Notifications and Messaging. Check the boxes that apply to what you want. I have mine set for receiving email from Administrators Only and I don't get notifications for threads.

Syn, all I can offer is a virtual hug and my sympathy.

She sounds like a wonderful person who will always be there as you share stories about her with Boo.

Apr 22, 2012, 06:00 AM
    Yeah it's odd as I did change those to not receiving emails, even from admins. I also changed it to "Do not subscribe"
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2012, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniCalifornia View Post
    Yeah it's odd as i did change those to not receiving emails, even from admins. I also changed it to "Do not subscribe"
    If you haven't tried it already:

In the same section of Notifications and Messaging... look for the subsection of "Default Thread Subscription Mode". Set the drop down window to "no e-mail notification". See if that works.

Apr 22, 2012, 06:11 AM
    Aye I tried that before do not subscribe yesterday, I was still receiving emails ¬¬

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search