Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 10, 2012, 05:53 AM
    I hope I didn't make a big mistake in eating a bit yesterday. I didn't read the instructions until I had gotten home and saw it said only clear liquids starting that morning. I didn't eat much, but still...

Oh well, nothing to do about it now. I know some places do offer you a flavor choice to try and mask it as much as possible. Anything has to be better than this stuff.

I've only had it done once before several years ago and remember asking the nurse as she put something into the IV if that was what would make me sleep. Next thing I remember is bits of the drive home and being home at some point.

Synn... keep telling yourself "This too shall pass". It does get easier, but there obviously will be rough patches here and there along the way. Seems they get onto a schedule and often when they hit a growth spurt or learn a new skill, they will change the schedule on you. Some babies just need less sleep than others. Do your best to sleep, or at least rest, when he does sleep as much as possible. Thankfully the good bits far outweigh the bad... :)

J_9... take advantage of the sleep when you can grab it!

Magprob... cat too scrawny... possum bigger... tastes like chicken!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 10, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Yeah, we're one leap of logic away from crawling right now... I can see him try to move, and I am just waiting for the click for him that he has to move hands AND legs, and then we'll be running! Can't quite get to sitting on his own from his belly yet, but that's going to be coming soon too---he tries to do it and gets frustrated when he can't. I'm trying to enjoy these last few days of him being where I put him until I come back, but I'm frankly just too tired to be anything more than grateful that he stays put for now!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Synn, not to scare you, but Jared started walking before 10 months. Once they figure out crawling, it's not long before they're walking, and sadly, at 10 months, Jared didn't have the sense God gave a goat. Lots of scrapes, and bumps. ;)

I miss the days when they weren't mobile. I could put them somewhere, step away for a second, and know that they'd be where I left them when I got back. :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Synn, not to scare you, but Jared started walking before 10 months. Once they figure out crawling, it's not long before they're walking, and sadly, at 10 months, Jared didn't have the sense God gave a goat. Lots of scrapes, and bumps. ;)

I miss the days when they weren't mobile. I could put them somewhere, step away for a second, and know that they'd be where I left them when I got back. :)
    Ahh, for the days when they didn't know how to climb out of play pens and didn't look at baby gates like a marine looks at an obstacle course.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Just read the Mother's Day blog, it looks pretty good!
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Yeah, I know I'm lucky that he can't get around on his own yet. Been a tough week, though. He's been constipated all week --and every freaking nurse I talk to on the phone keeps telling me that babies this young just do not get constipated, but Lan does all the freaking time! I have to plan his meals completely to keep him from getting all stuffed up, but we want to keep trying new foods and sometimes those new things just do NOT agree with him. Anyway, 2 AM last night was my first about of "OMG, should I take him to the ER?" because he was screaming and arching himself in pain from it. I was on the phone with the nurse, who told me it was my call... either give him MORE prune juice (and risk diarrhea) and a suppository and wait until this morning and go to the clinic, or take him to the ER.

I was all set to take him to the ER, because I couldn't calm him down. Got the hubby up, and he got him calm enough to drink some prune juice and the problem righted itself this morning, but the middle of the night last night I was a wreck.

Why do these things always happen in the middle of the night?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Those nurses are just damm stupid. Babies get constipated. Are you still breastfeeding? What are you eating?

What foods is Lan eating?

Maybe introduce some prune/apple juice daily, not as a constipation reliever.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:55 AM
    It's prom night for my baby Rae. Her and her boy broke up last week, so she is going stag with a girlfriend of hers.
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 08:51 AM
    You can tell her that auntie Synn *wishes* she'd gone with her girlfriends rather than just some guy to have a date. The only friends of mine that had fun at prom were the one that went with groups of friends instead of dates.

My diet hasn't changed, except I've cut a LOT of sugars and caffeine---and lost 15 lbs, though you can't tell in pics. He's eating more and more solid foods--we added meats in the last couple of weeks at the recommendation of the doc. Every other feeding is breast milk--about 6 oz (from a bottle since the little shi... stinker BIT me several times and grinned about it). I still give peaches, plums, prunes or pears for one of his meals, and give him water to drink with his meals (we're learning to use a sippy cup). One meal (usually mid-morning) is always oatmeal cereal with breast milk.

I'm thinking one of the meals he ate on Tuesday (it was a vegetable beef, and the first time he had beef) is what did it this time. I try to keep track of the new foods I'm giving him so that I can see if he has any problems with them---only 2 new foods a week, and spaced so that I can see what happens after.

It was just frustrating to be on the phone and be told I couldn't do anything more but take him to the ER when I knew his problem was constipation.

I talked to the pediatrician this morning, and she said to give him 3 oz of prune juice every day with one of his meals to see if that helps. At least he likes it!
    Pets Expert

May 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
    Synn, a Godsend with my kids was fennel tea, for babies. It's called Buebchen tee. It's German. I'm not sure if you can get it in the US. The German store in my area sells it. Just add a teaspoon in with his food, or make a bottle with it. It's pretty much flavorless, and the fennel really helps with tummy issues.

Not sure that it will help with the constipation, but it will help him deal with tummy ouchies. If it weren't for fennel tea I'm not sure Jared would be with us right now. ;)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Just rub a little bit of Scotch on his gums. If that doesn't work, give him a sip. If that doesn't work, YOU take a sip (or two).

Oooops, that's for teething.

My first baby was colicky and gassy. I still get nightmares. You have my prayers, Synn.
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
    Poor kid. His tummy issues cleared up today (with a LOT of diaper changes), but he decided to try to stand (when he can't even get himself to sitting by himself yet) from a sitting position. Pulled himself up on one of his toys and fell flat on his face onto the hardwood floors. I saw it happen and couldn't move fast enough to catch him. Poor guy didn't even know how to react at first, then started screaming.

It's been kind of a rough week here.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:17 PM
    HI everyone!

Listening to all this brings back so many 'old' problems to mind with my two children although they both are adults with two teens of their own now.

However Jacob Lloyd (JL), my baby nephew is doing just fine, 3 months and 5 days old. He has more than doubled in size. We are all so fortunate that so far he is a very happy baby with lots of full facial smiles and giggles. He is starting to 'talk' with coos and reacts to you. His big blue eyes just light up and sparkle. He is developing quite a pair of lungs and when he is hungry or has a dirty diaper you know it immediately. I was walking and bouncing him yesterday while Marta made him a bottle, when I put him down I couldn't hear for 10 minutes out of my right ear.. :)

I want to thank all of you for the advise you gave us in helping Jacob in nursing (especially J) he is doing just fine now.

Love that little bugger a lot, if I don't see him for a while I really miss him. He grabbed a huge part of my heart and I am going to let him keep it

Stringer
    Pets Expert

May 11, 2012, 08:16 PM
    Stringer, I'm so happy that you are having such a wonderful time with your bundle of baby joy. It makes my heart swell when you talk about him. I'm so happy for you all! So very happy.

Synn, I'm so sorry that you're having a rough time. Been there. I don't think there's one mother in the world that could say that it was always easy, no problems, just a piece of cake. It really is the toughest job there is. Hands down.

I can only tell you to hang in there. It will pass. Well, sort of. Once the baby issues are done with, you get the terrible twos, the kindergarten (I don't want to leave my mommy) issues, oh, I forgot potty training. That was fun. Then they become teenagers, and even though you love them more than anything, there are times when you completely understand why some animals eat their young.

But, it's all worth it. Just make sure to stock up on hair dye (you will go grey), and alcohol (for you, not the baby).

One day, I'm told, they'll have children that act just as they acted (that's what my mom and dad wished on me. Thanks a lot mom and dad!) , and then you can sit back, stuff those grand babies with chocolate, send them home to mom and dad ready to bounce of the walls, and laugh your butt off. Payback is what I'm looking forward to now. You will too. :)

(hugs) They really are worth it! Really!
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 08:50 PM
    Oh he's totally worth it. We just had a fun little game of "get the baby belly" full of giggles and hugs... but sleep has been scarce this week, and the poor guy has just had a rough time of it.

I have to say that I both admire and feel sorry for all the single moms out there. I seriously could not do this without Troy. He's already getting giggly and secretive with the baby about what they're going to do for me for Mother's Day.

I'm just tired and whiney. I know I'm blessed, please don't get me wrong. A little catchup on sleep and I'll be back to my optimistic, happy self.
    Business Expert

May 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Oh he's totally worth it. We just had a fun little game of "get the baby belly" full of giggles and hugs....but sleep has been scarce this week, and the poor guy has just had a rough time of it.

I have to say that I both admire and feel sorry for all the single moms out there. I seriously could not do this without Troy. He's already getting giggly and secretive with the baby about what they're going to do for me for Mother's Day.

I'm just tired and whiney. I know I'm blessed, please don't get me wrong. A little catchup on sleep and I'll be back to my optimistic, happy self.
    I think you are doing fine Synn. :)
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
    Thanks Stringer.

Was JL little at birth? Lan is 6.5 months and has yet to double his birth weight.
    Business Expert

May 11, 2012, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Thanks Stringer.

Was JL little at birth? Lan is 6.5 months and has yet to double his birth weight.
    He was 6.12 at birth and he is 12.8 now. He is longer also, I am not exactly sure (his momma knows though) but I think he is about16 -16.5 inches now, I'll find out but I know he has grown a lot. He has long fingers and toes a sign that my Grandmother used to say means that he will be tall.

How old is Ian Synn?

Stringer
    Business Expert

May 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Stringer, I'm so happy that you are having such a wonderful time with your bundle of baby joy. It makes my heart swell when you talk about him. I'm so happy for you all! So very happy.

Synn, I'm so sorry that you're having a rough time. Been there. I don't think there's one mother in the world that could say that it was always easy, no problems, just a piece of cake. It really is the toughest job there is. Hands down.

I can only tell you to hang in there. It will pass. Well, sort of. Once the baby issues are done with, you get the terrible twos, the kindergarten (I don't want to leave my mommy) issues, oh, I forgot potty training. That was fun. Then they become teenagers, and even though you love them more than anything, there are times when you completely understand why some animals eat their young.

But, it's all worth it. Just make sure to stock up on hair dye (you will go grey), and alcohol (for you, not the baby).

One day, I'm told, they'll have children that act just as they acted (that's what my mom and dad wished on me. Thanks a lot mom and dad!) , and then you can sit back, stuff those grand babies with chocolate, send them home to mom and dad ready to bounce of the walls, and laugh your butt off. Payback is what I'm looking forward to now. You will too. :)

(hugs) They really are worth it! Really!
    Thanks Alty, he is very entertaining also, makes my heart light and happy.
    Pets Expert

May 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
    I second what Stringer said. You're doing just fine Synn. Trust me, every mother on Earth has had rough patches, little sleep, going insane. It's part of the job. Those that say they never experienced that, had full time nannies. ;)

It does get easier, then it gets harder, then easier again, then impossible, then easier again, then you want to kill them, they they move out and you miss them so much. You have to take the good with the bad, and even if it's really bad at times, I know that the good far outweighs any bad.

Jared is 13 right now. He's at that age where I want to kill him at times. In fact, I don't think a day goes by when I don't say to him "If you keep this up you may not live to see 14". But it's said with love, because I know it's just a stage. Heck, I was much worse at his age, so ha, ha mom and dad, I didn't get me for a kid! :) Yet. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search