Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2012, 07:37 PM
    I am actually about to head to bed. Just finishing up one little question and then I'm out. :) night, all
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 09:46 PM
    Alty--unless they go out of their way to OKAY a schedule change with you, ONLY check it the day it is posted. If they CHANGE it, then they need to OKAY it with you.

Otherwise, you weren't scheduled originally, and you don't need to be there. Period.

Initial and date the day you check your schedule. Better yet, take a photo of it with your phone if you can, and stick to the ORIGINAL schedule.

They won't change it without checking with you after you don't show up, and can show that you weren't scheduled.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Alty--unless they go out of their way to OKAY a schedule change with you, ONLY check it the day it is posted. If they CHANGE it, then they need to OKAY it with you.

Otherwise, you weren't scheduled originally, and you don't need to be there. Period.
    Depends on the business. They can change my schedule without approving it with me and I am expected to be there.
    Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
    Really? I check my schedule the day it's posted, and that's when I show up. Of course, I'm a part time cashier :)
    Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
    Yeah, it's unfortunate, but as an employee you are required to keep up with your schedule. If it needs to be changed for unforeseen reasons, the manager can change it without approval at their discretion. They can do this unless you have an official date(s) requested off to cover shifts in case of an emergency.

This may not apply to you or Alty, but to be sure you might want to check with your scheduling manager. We just lost 2 good employees (they quit) because of schedule changes that were not approved by the employees. Management came back and said that they have the right to change a schedule after it is posted without prior approval for staffing issues. It's also in our employee handbook.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 04:32 AM
    Hello guys! Well I had an extra long vacation! Wors was cancelled yesterday due to the freaking SNOW STORM we had :( Ugg. I miss summer. I miss mosquito's, I miss sunburns, I miss sand in my bathing suit, I MISS SUMMER.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2012, 05:09 AM
    It's been an odd winter in a few places. We have been complaining that warm weather has started too soon here. Not looking forward to the heat and humidity, but at least I will be on the road again so will hopefully not have to endure too much of it.

J_9... Will the loss of two employees mean you will have to put in more time?

Sorry Alty... hope you might be able to get someone to cover your extra time.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2012, 05:14 AM
    Good morning! What a long day already. Our city is basically in the process of shutting down right now due to the final four NCAA championship. Technically the whole state is affected, but my city specifically is really going crazy. I live in Louisville, KY and given that our biggest state rivalry is now about to compete for a spot for National basketball champion, it's just a little insane. Whew. Of course, it doesn't help that I work in a branch of government that has to pre-plan road closings, and there most certainly will be many come Saturday. I just hope the rioting doesn't reach the Vancouver/Stanley cup levels... so far all we have had are couch and bed burnings. Yay hillbilly riots.

Synnen - that is a smart idea, and I used to do the same in retail, but I think J-9 is right. Employers have started adding things into handbooks or even the paperwork you sign when hired to prevent that.

Aurora_Bell - At least you got a winter! It's been spring here since November, and Summer for the last 2 weeks straight. LOL. Winter passed us by completely! My sons were so upset because I bought them a shiny new sled back in October and we never got a flurry!
    Dogs Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 05:25 AM
    You can have all of our leftover winter! This was a cold one. Lots of percipitation that's for sure. Call me Bella :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Hello:

Would somebody help this girl with bagina advice?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/womens...ce-646646.html

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2012, 07:41 AM
    I was already there. Sigh.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel View Post
    I was already there. sigh.
    Hello a:

Cool. So, her bagina is in good hands.. Wouldn't want her walking around with a banged up bagina.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2012, 07:49 AM
    .Too late... lmao
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
    .Too late... lmao
    Thinks nothing of getting drunk and having sex with people other than her boyfriend. I wonder what her boyfriend is doing? And her parents apparently know some of what she is up to. :rolleyes:
    Dogs Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
    I know! Like I would die if I had to tell my dad I needed to get checked for STD's. And he would either kill me or go on a hunting spree, and I am 28 with a kid! You shold have seen him when I told him I was pregnant.
    Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 09:30 AM

Synnen - that is a smart idea, and I used to do the same in retail, but I think J-9 is right. employers have started adding things into handbooks or even the paperwork you sign when hired to prevent that.
    Well, the biggest part for me is that they can freaking fire me if they screw with my plans. I am a part time worker for the sanity, and they pay me $8.80 an hour. I really don't need the job badly enough to put up with constant shift changes--I WILL just get another job that is more accommodating.

Plus I don't think they can EVER schedule you outside of the shifts you say you're available, even if your kids are on spring break or whatever. If you say you're only available from 9-3, that's when you're available. I KNOW my handbook states that they have to ASK for any time outside of those hours... especially since so many people are working multiple jobs and re-scheduling can screw that up.

It's probably not the same for professional jobs, like medicine or law or business management or whatever, but for retail, I think it's true. Plus, they aren't usually stupid enough to screw with the people that work and do a good job, because THOSE people CAN get jobs elsewhere, and usually with little notice, even in this economy.

I've been on the floor at my job for exactly 3 shifts now and I've been headhunted twice.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Well, the biggest part for me is that they can freaking fire me if they screw with my plans. I am a part time worker for the sanity, and they pay me $8.80 an hour. I really don't need the job badly enough to put up with constant shift changes--I WILL just get another job that is more accommodating.

Plus I don't think they can EVER schedule you outside of the shifts you say you're available, even if your kids are on spring break or whatever. If you say you're only available from 9-3, that's when you're available. I KNOW my handbook states that they have to ASK for any time outside of those hours.....especially since so many people are working multiple jobs and re-scheduling can screw that up.

It's probably not the same for professional jobs, like medicine or law or business management or whatever, but for retail, I think it's true. Plus, they aren't usually stupid enough to screw with the people that work and do a good job, because THOSE people CAN get jobs elsewhere, and usually with little notice, even in this economy.

I've been on the floor at my job for exactly 3 shifts now and I've been headhunted twice.
    True that! ;)
    Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post

J_9.....Will the loss of two employees mean you will have to put in more time?
    It's been rough Doula. As you know we got a new OB about a year ago and recently a local L&D department closed, so we have been picking up their slack. Now we lost a full time employee and a PRN nurse. Yes, I'll be picking up the slack, nice paycheck, but time away from the family.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Exy, I'm not touching that "bagina" with a ten foot pole. ;)

Well I talked to my manager. Thing is, she booked me because she has to leave town for a funeral, her Uncle's. She doesn't want to leave the assistant manager short handed, so she booked me. Very hard to say no to that, so I'm working. The kids understand, and to make it up to them we're going swimming on Saturday, so they're both happy. :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Alty - I am happy it worked out for you.

J_9 - sucks you are so short staffed and have to be away from fam, but yay for $$ in today's economy. They never allow OT or extra hours for us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search