Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dazzor Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Mar 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Squatting For Teens?
    Hello my son is 14 and he wants to do squats. I amnot sure how it will effect him but, say he does perfect technique, with not rediculess weights about avrege of 30-50kg. Will this effect his growth in anyway or injure any parts of his body?

Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2012, 02:23 PM
    Adversely affect growth? No.

Injure? Very possibly. He's far from finished growing and unless he's supervised by someone who knows what he's doing (not a friend or someone else with some experience - good, bad or indifferent) it's dangerous.

I would not allow my son to do squats without the supervision of a trained professional.

Same thing with working out.
    Stellaw Posts: 171, Reputation: -1

Mar 25, 2012, 11:18 AM
    Squatting with weights won't affect your son's growth. Make your son stretch for about 15 minutes and jog for at least 20 minutes before squatting to prevent injury.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellaw View Post
    Squatting with weights won't affect your son's growth. Make your son stretch for about 15 minutes and jog for at least 20 minutes before squatting to prevent injury.
    Can you provide authoritative support for this answer? We pride ourselves on the accuracy of the advice we give out here and many of your answers have been questionable at best. Any exercise routine for a teenager should be discussed with a professional.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellaw View Post

You've posted similar info before. Please post your source.

Your advice could seriously hurt someone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Is he doing this in a weight program at school or at a gym? Not just with weights in the back of the house ?

Squats can be part of a very good weight lighting program for body building.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adverse Possession Squatting in foreclosed property [ 7 Answers ]

The home across the street had been through a foreclosure unable to sell with no one there living in it. I am filing adverse possession & plan to set aside money to pay the taxes that may be due at the end of the year. Will the bank make me have a loan on the property to stay (qua;ify). OR Can I...

Squatting [ 7 Answers ]

I was rented a home by someone who doesn't own it... Now I'm being told I'm a squatter, can they make me and my 3 kids leave the home?

Squatting or not Squatting/ [ 4 Answers ]

A family member has a residence in Florida, she resides in Minnesota. She has a lady and her children living there, that should be paying rent. In the past year plus has only paid rent 2 times. It has all been done by a verbal agreement. That same family member is not in the best health and nor the...

Florida Squatting Law [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently living with a roommate but my name is not on the lease with the landlord. My roommate is behind on the rent and I have been paying him in cash my portion of the rent. But the rent is actually always late even though I have been paying my portion on time, because he is so behind on...

Florida's squatting and eviction laws [ 2 Answers ]

My question is what are my legal rights in the state of Florida for squatters... my husband has a friend living in our fully furnished apartment for about 3 months rent free also utility free and has ask him to move out . He now refuses to leave and feels he has the right to stay without having to...

View more questions Search