Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashok_c741 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
    Printing of currency
    I have a question about how much currency can a country print. Some say it has to be backed by Gold. It seems that America has roughly 8000 tonnes of gold. So the total value is approx 3200 billion US$. The population of america is approx 32 billion. So if we print currency only up to 3200 billion US$ then each american citizen will get only 1000 US$ with him. It means currency has to be printed in many more multiples of gold value then what is the use of backing with gold. Instead why can't they print the currency based on population.

I also heard that US govt borrows the money from FED reserve. What is the need for it to borrow the money for interest when it can print the currecny itself.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
    ashok: the US went off the gold standard many years ago. So no - there is not a pile of gold somehere that backs the currency. Instead our currency is backed by "the full faith and credit of the United States of America." What that means is: trust us, our money is good. What is also means is that the government is free to print as much of the stuff as they like. It's the job of the US Treasury and the Federal Reserve to control how much actually enters the money supply. If they print too much then the value of the dollar goes down and inflation rises. So the treasury will often decide to borrow money rather than simply print more of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Value of US currency [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1953 series C $2 bill red seal in UNC condition (A74652563A) which is misprinted so that the red seal overlaps the "TW" of the "TWO" and protrudes to the left. The red serial number is also moved to the left. I have not seen this error on any other 1953 bill or any bill at all. Any...

Old currency [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My grand parents passed away last year and they collected a lot of old coins and some old currency notes and I was wondering what they were worth. I have a 1 dollar silver certificate that is from the series 1928A serial number Z58728894A. It looks to be in VF to XF condition, has a blue...

You.S. Currency [ 4 Answers ]

I'd like to know 1928 silver certificate star note graded CGA 63 unc. Is worth. Please confirm Thanks Paul

Old currency [ 7 Answers ]

How much is a 1928 ten dollar bill worth in circulated condition?

View more questions Search