Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vnabap Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
    2011 L1 Tax filing questions
    Hi Experts,

I need some suggestion on filing my 2011 taxes

My wife and I are in L1 B.

I have one kid came to US on July 2nd 2011 dependent as( L2 )of my wife’s L1.

I am planning to do the Joint filing with kid as dependent. So I need to apply the ITIN for my kid during the tax filing.

The question is
    Is my kid eligible for SPT?(exactly 183 days).

During the W7 form filling do I need to fill my SSN details or my wife SSN details? (Because my kid L2 stamping was my wife’s L1 B)

I have one more question:

As we are in L1B we are working from employer’s office. But for work related purpose my wife and I used to travel and stay(temporary) at client location which is in different state.

Once the work is done we are back to the employer's office. The visiting to client place is more frequent and some time we might stay for couple of weeks.

My company doesn’t provide any accommodation at client location so we have rented an apartment and stayed at client state.

As we are staying at the client location with my expenses so company gave accommodation (guest house) at the work (office) location state. So my pay stubs and taxes are paid to the IL state. And paid only little part of the tax to another state.

Now my question is, what state do I need to put as the resident state? My rental agreement and the car registration is in one stae but the pay stub is at taxes paied to the differnet state.

Thank you very much for valuable suggestions.

Anil
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2012, 12:45 PM
    Anil:

The SPT is NOT an issue when it comes to children. As long as they spend at least SOME time in the United States in 2011, and are in the custody of ONE of the parents on the joint return for the entire year, you CAN claim them as dependents on your joint return.

Your wife is considered your child's sponsor, so put HER SSN on the Form W-7 and have HER sign it.

It seems that your resident state is where your employer's office is located. The other (client) state is a temporary work location. You will pay taxes to the client state for the work performed in that state. You will pay taxes on ALL income in the resident state, then claim a tax credit for the taxes paid to the client state.

Mar 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion.

I am clear on the ITIN number for my child

As I don’t have any address proof at residential(office location) state will that be any issue with filing taxes with guest house address or any friends address?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
    No proof of residency is required, so you COULD reverse the situation if you wish. Claim as the resident state the state where you spent the MOST time.

Apr 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Thanks for the clarification.

I am trying to apply ITIN for my daughter.

What I need select the Reason you are sumbiting Form W-7

Do I need to select the
    'd - Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien'
    Or
    'g- Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa'
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 03:23 PM
    If you are on H-1, H-1B or L-1, then the first option.

If you are on J-1 or F-1, then the second option.

Apr 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Thanks, Expert!

I am on L1 so the option 1 is correct.

Thanks again for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax: Completed PhD after 6 yrs on F1 -- left USA on 1st June 2011 -- Filing Status? [ 3 Answers ]

After 5 years on F1 visa, I became a resident for tax purposes. I filed as a resident alien in 2010 & 2009. Had I stayed until August 2011, I think it would be clear that I file the 1040 for 2011, since I would have been present for more than 183 days out of 2011. However, since I was only in USA...

Can I claim my son who will be coming to US in 2011 on my J1 2011 tax return, [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in dec 2010 at that time my son had J2 visa but he was in India. He is coming in June 2011, can I claim him as my dependent in 2011 tax fillings.

Opt-tax-filing-2011 [ 0 Answers ]

I was graduated in Mei 2010 and I am doing a contractor works right now. My status in America is actually still OPT until October 2011. Therefore, I was wondering if I have to do a contractor tax or not? If I have to do it, what form do I have to fill in and how big is the tax suppose to be? Thank...

OPT Tax Filing for 2011 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have graduated in dec 2009 and I am on Post Completion OPT and employed as an independent contractor on 1099 basis for five months i.e from (May 2010 - Sep 2010), and then changed to W2 from oct 2010 onwards. I did not file for taxes on 1099 also. So can you tell me how to file for...

About H1 tax Filing questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian Citizen entered US(Chicago.IL) for the first time on 6th June 2007 with H1-B Visa. And my spouse and daughter entered US for the first time on Aug2007 with H4 Visa. I have not changed my visa status to any other visa Please find the details of my stay in US below:...

View more questions Search