Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanehodder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2012, 04:16 PM
    I turned on the Central Air but forgot to take the winter cover off the outside unit
    Now the outside unit doesn't turn on. Fan or compressor. Well, kind of.

I went outside, took a look at the control access panel. There's a plastic switch type thing that if I press in, the unit turns on. Both the fan and the compressor come on. However if I let go then it stops running. Using the thermostat control to turn the unit it doesn't work.

I assume the unit overheated and shut itself off but I can't figure out how to reset it back to normal.

The blower inside downstairs works fine.

Any Ideas before I call my local HVAC technician?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
    Sounds like you`re not getting low voltage 24-27 volts coming to the contactor telling it to pull in and kick unit on
    Look over low voltage tstat wires from outside condenser where it hooks to the contactor trace all the way to the furnace, look for chews, cuts, bites,breaks,, after this get out your multimeter and atart looking for where the lowvoltage starts and where you loose it

As for the cover, I`ve never believed or understood why people use them. They just cause trouble just like what you almost did by forgetting to remove them. An old trash can lid on top and a cement block to hold it down is all you need to keep the fall leaves out.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Mar 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
    Whooooa,

Just wait awhile. The unit probably has a hi pressure switch that kicked it off (did its job) when you left the cover on. No big deal just wait until the pressure equalizes (hour or two max)

You pressed the contactor in (plunger) and got it on and that's a good test.
    robinbane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 05:44 AM
    On newer units there is a high-pressure cutout safety switch inside the outdoor unit with a red reset button you need to reset. Can be hard to find and require covers etc to be taken off to get at. I would get a tech to do an annual service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my Central Air Unit (Goodman split unit) neither cool or heat my house? [ 6 Answers ]

It worked fine all summer until last few months. When I have it to cool it blows air but not cold air. Now that I want heat it blows cool air and not hot air. It took it 30 minutes to heat my 1000SF home from 64 degrees to 65 degrees. What could be the problem?

My central air unit is freezing up on the outside unit pipe.. 80 degrees outside [ 2 Answers ]

My central air unit is freezing up on the outside unit (you can see the ice covering the pipe that goes from the unit to the house and it is 80degrees outside. You can hear the unit running but no air is coming through the vents. I left it off all night and it is cooling fine today. Is this...

Central air unit doesn't come on when thermostat is turned on [ 0 Answers ]

The central air unit will n ot come on the thermostat is set but it will not come on

I have a heil hot air heater put in last year they forgot to hook up my central air w [ 1 Answers ]

We replace our heater this winter and now the central is not hook up I have 2 wires that come from the unit outside where or what do I hook them too? It is a heil N9mp1 gas hot air furance

Central heat unit cover [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know the name of the cover that is metal with slats in it that goes over the burner and is the outside part for a central heat unit that is inside.

View more questions Search