Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akayeball Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 08:48 PM
    "parking" a hard drive?
    Hi! We are moving this week, and our mover said that with some computers, you have to "park" your hard drive before moving the computer. I've never heard of this. Can somebody please tell me what he's talking about, and how to know if I need to do it?
    Any info would be much appreciated...
    Ernest carr Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2007, 10:20 PM
    That is from the old days of computers, if you use the computer shut-off it will park automatically that's why it is bad to just cut the power or pull the plug, the reader does not have time to park and the vibrating arm may hit the surface of the disk,
    akayeball Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the info!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Yep parking is something for older drives. The idea is to move the r/w head off the platters so they won't be damaged. Just do a Shut down through Windows and you will be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

91 Honda Accord "stuck" In Sports Drive [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A 1991 Honda Accord. Over the last month or so, it will put itself Into "sports Drive." The "S" light on the dash goes on, and it switches to this drive, which revs at higher RPMs. It Seems Like This Might Be Some Kind Of Protective Mechanism By The Car. Sometimes I Can Get It Back...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

External HDD Error "Insert A Disk Into Drive" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a WD HDD installed into an external case. When I plug it into a USB port, a drive letter appears in "System Hardware", and it says the driver is OK and the device is working properly. It even gives me the model number of the WD drive! Driver Agent even confirms that the driver is OK. ...

View more questions Search