Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Feb 25, 2007, 06:23 AM
    I will check out about getting a new panel at Lowe's sometime. I figured I would have to reseal the whole thing, because that is what I had to do with the other tank. We are supposed to be getting a storm with more than a quarter inch of ice today through tomorrow, so going today isn't a possibility.

Happy fish hunting. :p

Daisy
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 12:23 AM
    Wow, you resealed a tank! I've known many people who have, but that is one tough job I haven't attempted... Did you find it difficult? Some people say it's easy and others say it's hard.

I did get out to buy some fish today. I got 4 African Cichlid babies. They came from an assorted tank and they are still a bit to small to identify them correctly... I love the anticipation though. I'm hoping some of these will be females, I already have a lot of males...
    How are your tanks and babies?
    Kae

Feb 26, 2007, 05:39 AM
    I think that it's not to bad to reseal a tank. The hardest part is taking off the old seal. If you don't have the right tool, it takes forever. Or so it seems. I had a good tool, made for doing other things, but was good for doing that, and it took me three hours. (I will attribute some of that time to it being my first time.:D ) It only took about a half an hour to put the silicone on and spread it. (I will attribute some of that time to it being my first time also.:D )

Good Luck with the fish being females. When you know what type they are, you will have to tell me.

My tank is crystal clear again. WOOHOO!! I put in the second treatment on Saturday, and by Sunday morning it was clear. My babies are doing great. All the older ones have their stripes, except I think the three that are white. They are so cute, like little kids. I like the white ones better, for what reason, I don't know.

The pup in your picture is really cute. :D

Daisy

Here are pictures of a few of my kitties. The first picture is Katie. The second is Maxwell. The third is Peanut, and the fourth is Snickers

Here are my fishies too. Two are of daddy to the first set. He has the darker lines. Two are of Mommy, and the last is the first set of babies.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Oh my goodness!! They are all sooo cute!! I just love seeing pictures of pets and fish (which I consider pets too):D
    You should post some pictures in Our Members Pets.
    Absolutely beautiful Daisy!
    Kae

Feb 26, 2007, 05:20 PM
    I will have to do that sometime. I don't have pictures (or good pictures) of some of my pets. :p

Hey, I have another question. In this picture, you will notice there is pink, not exactly on the cheek, but a little farther back, on the daddy. Is that normal for this type of fish to have that? I haven't seen another fish like them that have that pink. There are some at my workplace, but none of them have it. :confused: :confused: :confused: It is not a reflection from anything.

Daisy
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I believe the pink colors your daddy (and mommy) are showing is displaying "breeding time". I noticed the same thing in the picture of your female above (all the pink or orange on her sides). They will develop intense colors during breeding...
    I've never kept Convicts, but I've seen intense color changes in some of my fish around breeding time. The colors mostly appear on the gills, sides, and belly... Daddy's saying He's Not Done Yet!! LOL:D

Kae

Feb 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Uh Oh!! :D ROFL He better be done soon. I have no more room in my tanks for more babies.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 06:43 PM
    :D LOL!!

Maybe if he had to change diapers, he'd feel differently?? :D

One of my new babies has started getting brave enough to start coming out of hiding and I was able to snap a pic of it. It's the little pale one. I still can't tell with certainty what it is yet.
    I haven't seen the other ones yet this morning. I'm hoping they are OK... All the fish in this tank are very young, so they should be fine...
    Name:  Baby.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  136.5 KB

Feb 27, 2007, 01:56 PM
    LOL That's true. If he had to change diapers... I think that's all he's be doing 24/7 for like two months. :D I looked in the tank at the second set of babies. There are definitely about three or four time more than the first time. There's only about thirty with the first set.

Your baby is really cute. :D It looks orange in the front. The blue one is really pretty, too. I hope the rest are all OK and come out soon, too.

Daisy

I thought you might like looking at this if you can get it. This is another website (I don't know if you've heard of it) called AquariaCentral. It reminds me a lot of this website. Some of the things you have to be a member to see. This person bought a custom made 150 gallon tank (:eek: Oh, think of the cost!! ) and is showing how the process is going. This page has the most recent pictures, and he is not finished yet.

Aquaria Central

Daisy:D
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 10:39 PM
    That is a really awesome site! Thanks for sharing it with me. I can't wait to read everything in there. Did you join?

That baby does have a darker head than body. It looks older and it's a little bigger than the other ones too. I have one other kind-of like it except it does not have a dark head and has no stripes. Then 2 more that are kind of brown and a whiteish colored one. I saw them all very briefly today. Their hiding, poor things... probably scared out of their wits without their parents...

Thanks again for sharing the site!!
    Kae

Feb 28, 2007, 01:18 PM
    You are welcome. I did join, under the same name that I have for this site. That is the name that I usually use when signing up for something.

I'm so glad that they all came out and seem to be doing OK. Hopefully they will be coming out more soon. And at least you know that the older ones aren't eating them.

Daisy
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Daisy,
    I was smiling ear to ear at all your pet pictures!!
    You are so right!! Daddy better be done because that's a lot of babies!

How are they all doing?

Mine are still in hiding (except for the bigger one)
    I saw one burrowing itself under the sand - strange right?
    Do yours ever go under the gravel or anything like that?
    I've seen this behavior with my Guppies fry because their parents like to gobble them up, but not with Cichlids because their parents are very protective... The other Cichlids in the tank with them are very young themselves and pay them no attention, so I'm very curious as to how yours are acting.
    I'm wondering if this is some kind of affect happening by them being taken away from their parents at such a young age... Or, possibly they could have been born (lol) hatched in the pet shop...

Kae

Mar 2, 2007, 05:26 AM
    They are all doing great. I'm glad you like the pictures. I feel I have a few too many pets, though. :D

Mine do go under the gravel sometimes, but more at night. When I turn the light on you can see them all come out from underneath. Someone told me that they like to sleep under the gravel when they are babies, and also get any extra food that floated down. Your's look to be about the size of mine, so maybe they are doing one of those two things. Or maybe it feels more protected that way?

Daisy
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
    I have a lot of pets too LOL just the way I am...

I'm relieved to know that my cichlid babies are not the only ones that burrow under.

I'm really hoping I get some females out of this.

Mar 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Good luck, and I hope you get exactly what you want out of them.

Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2007, 07:33 PM
    I wanted babies, but after seeing the billion you have... I'm starting to wonder:D hehe... I'll have to free up some tanks... Oh, which reminds me, I may have a home for Big Mouth. There's a lady with a huge south american cichlid community tank that I'd love for her to go to since she hasn't yet excepted another friend in her domain... All she does is swim up and down in the corner of her tank. It's sad and I feel bad for her. She may be happy in the community tank. We're going to try it out next week and see how she does.

Mar 4, 2007, 08:06 AM
    :D If I would have known about their chances of reproducing before I got them, I would have wondered, too. LOL:D

That's great that you have a potential home for her. I hope it works out. She actually reminds me of one of the fish one of my friends has in a tank at work. She's a kissing Gourami (is that how you spell it?) and her mate died last year. She sits in the corner looking out at everyone, and ignores all the other fish in the tank with her. Hopefully it works out better for Big Mouth. Which also reminds me, the kitty I have as my avatar, I should have named HER Big Mouth. She has the most annoying yell. :eek: And she loves to yell, directly in your ear, for attention when she wants it.;) But, alas, I named her Peanut.:D

Daisy
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 01:37 PM
    She sits in the corner looking out at everyone
    That's exactly what big mouth does, it is sooo sad. She sits in the corner watching everything that's going on outside of the tank. Then, when she sees someone walking up to the tank or past it, she starts the swimming up and down thing... like she's trying to get some kind of attention...

That's so funny about your cat. I bet she has a great personality too.
    Do all your cats get along?
    I've seen 2 strays in my garage eating the food I leave out for my cats for when they are outside.
    They take off like a bullet though when they see someone.
    I heard a huge cat fight the other day between the 2 of them. All my cats happened to be inside at the time (thank goodness) but they really got into it good. I've been afraid to let mine outside because I don't want them to get beat up.

Hehe... we have a catfish post going on here...

Mar 4, 2007, 08:26 PM
    :D I was just at my brothers house. He decided to get a 29 gallon tank, and I was helping him set it up. He called me and told me he already bought the fish, and that he didn't have anything set up yet. I guess he was just excited. I told him it was important to let the water cycle 24 hours before putting any fish in, and he told me that he would just let the fish in the bags. I though, "Holy crap," (excuse my French) "how does he expect them to get fresh air?!?!?!?!" I don't know much about fish, but even I know that they need more water over night than you get in the small bag at the fish store. We had fish when I was little, and my parents like to remind me of how I cooked them when I was 4 years old. I thought he would have remembered a little from then because he was ten at the time, but I guess not. My parents also like to tell me that they don't remember anything about caring for the fish, which is a major reason why I'm glad I found you and this web page. So anyway, I told him not to leave the fish in the bag past midnight (he called me around 8). He said he'll just have to take the chance that they might die, which is true. Boy, did he jump the gun.

I do feel bad for the kisser. She's in a tank of convicts. She's sitting there doing her little kissy thingy with her lips and the others think she's attacking.

Most of my cats get along pretty well, but there are a few that just don't seem to be able to do it. Peanut does have a great personality, you are right. I love her though. I like to call her my little Peanut. Actually, I love all cats that have her type of coloring. I think it's so neat. They are called Calimanco Tortoiseshell's. They are so alike in coloring, and yet so different. I think that is the only coloring I will ever get on a cat for the rest of my life.

It's a good thing that your cats were in when that cat fight was going on. I think, because they have some domesticity in them, they probably wouldn't have gotten in the fight with the other cats, but then again, you never know. None of my cats who were originally outdoors cats have ever gotten into a fight. But I have had a couple of indoor cats who never were outdoors before get into a fight with each other.

Catfish... thats hilarious!! :D

When a fish has ich, does it have to say on whatever med you buy that it cures it, or can it be any fugus med? I had bought a fish at a store one time, and a few weeks later I found it had ich on it, so I bought some ich meds for it. I thought it might be easier just to keep a general fungus killer made for the fish around, so if it happens again, I'll have it, if that will work. That fish died a couple weeks later. One of the other fish tried to eat him.

Daisy
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 02:14 PM
    If your brother would have conditioned the tap water with a water conditioner, then he could have put the fish directly in the tank... It would have been a lot better than the bag.
    One thing you can do to help out your brothers aquarium is to give him one of your dirty filter cartridges (not your bio-sponge - don't want to risk destroying your tanks bio filtration). There will be some good bacteria that have developed on the dirty cartridge that will help start the bio filtration process in his tank.

I think those cats must be males. I can't tell because I barely get a glimpse of them before their gone. They have been here everyday eating (I can't let them go hungry:) ) but my garage smells like cat spray again:(...
    I can't blame my cats this time because they've been inside and I actually think that the neutering has worked with them not spraying anymore. Maybe it just took some time before their hormone levels dropped?? I'm just glad they stopped.

That lady is going to take big mouth this evening and introduce her to her tank. If all goes well, she'll have a new home. If not, she'll be coming back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fish Ponds [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house that has a fish small fish pond with a water fall. It seems to have a lot of algae in it. Is there a way that I can clear the water and not hurt the fish or is algae a given and I should expect to live with it. My pond is approximately 6 ft wide and 8 feet long and about 2 feet...

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

Dying Fish [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, My kids have an aquarium at home medium size which has got a filter and they are changing the water and cleaning the whole stuff occasionally but not late. They are feeding them morning and evening according to the instructions from the pet shop. They have to buy new fishes in every two...

View more questions Search