Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chutch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Landlord modifying lease without tenant agreement
    I have a commercial lease in the state of Kentucky that states that the Landlord is responsible for providing adequate heat for the services of massage therapy and payment for all said utilities. The building was sold and the new landlord wants to install thermastats that moniter kwh and bill tenant for usage. Overages Tenant to pay amount over a yet to be determined baseline. Can the landlord modify the tenants lease without the consent of the tenant?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2007, 05:59 PM
    No. The buyer of a property has to honor the terms of any leases in effect at the time of purchase. That being said, there is nothing that prevents the new landlord from installing the meters and, when the lease comes up for renewal, require that tenents pay per the new meters.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 19, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chutch
    I have a commercial lease in the state of Kentucky that states that the Landlord is responsible for providing adequate heat for the services of massage therapy and payment for all said utilities. The building was sold and the new landlord wants to install thermastats that moniter kwh and bill tenant for usage. overages Tenant to pay amount over a yet to be determined baseline. Can the landlord modify the tenants lease without the consent of the tenant?
    The new landlord inherited the old lease. As each lease comes up for renewal, the landlord has the right to renegotiate the terms of the lease. With a commercial lease, don't be surprised when additional terms become added.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 06:51 PM
    As agreed, no they can not change it, till the lease renews. At the end of the lease, they can require any changes they want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord wants to break tenant lease [ 5 Answers ]

I need to move back into a condo that I have leased. The lease expires in September 2007. I can not wait that long to make my move. Can I legally break that lease?

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

Landlord to terminate tenant lease [ 1 Answers ]

My tenant has a month to month lease here in va. How many days notice am I required to give for a lease termination and do those days start from the date of notification or the first day of the next full month?

Lease agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I just Received a notice from my landlord that he going to up the Rent in June, Ive been living here since the late 80's. Twards the end of the notice, he writes, "New Month to Month Lease Required". And I'm not sure what's meant by that and this guy is kind of a slickster... Can anyone Help?...

View more questions Search