Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Mar 15, 2012, 04:06 PM
    Pregnant- testing for downs, what test do they do?
    I'm 12 weeks pregnant and tomorrow I'm going to the a preinatal Dr. For some testing. Even though I'm healthy and 26 my doctor told me she sends all her patients for the testing. I know they test for downs, I'm not sure what other test they do. What kind of test will they do? What should I expect? I hate not knowing what's going to happen. I'm excited to see the baby in ultrasound but nervous too and I hope it goes well. Thanks
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
    If they're testing for downs, then it's an amniocentesis.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...8lL74Q&cad=rja

I have to ask. Your doctor does an amnio as a standard test? That's not something I've ever heard before. There are risks with an amnio. Most doctors will not do this test unless there's a reason.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2012, 04:50 PM
    As Alty said, an amniocentesis can diagnose Down's Syndrome. At your 12 weeks scan, however, they will likely be doing what is known as a NT ( nuchal translucency) scan. They will check your baby's neck for increased fluid, which can result in a thickening of the fold on the back of the neck. They can also look for other markers of possible Down's, such as the lack of a nasal bone. Blood work is also sometimes done for possible Down's at this stage.

All of these tests, however, only tell if there is an increased risk of Down's, not an accurate diagnosis. If there is a strong possibility, due to what is seen on the ultrasound, and/or blood work, then an amnio will be scheduled at a later time.

Some women choose to skip these tests because they don't want to have an amnio whether there is a possibility of Down's. This can be due to the small risk of miscarriage from an amnio, or perhaps because they wouldn't consider terminating the pregnancy, for example, regardless of the results.

Other women welcome the tests, feeling they would like to be able to be prepared for when baby is born if there is a concern.
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Mar 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Thanks doulalc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If taking EtG testing will thc show up in this test also? [ 2 Answers ]

If taking EtG testing will thc show up in this test also?

Positive test.. then bleeding... then negative urine test.. could I still be pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

I took a clear blue HPT which was positive.. I have had most symptoms ( swollen sore boobs, feeling sick etc) I started with an aching back then I started to bleed not too heavy it stopped for a day and started again I took another HPT and it was negative... the doctor also did a urine test which...

Test Case- Web testing [ 3 Answers ]

How can I test the web application without write the test case?? >Moved from FORUM Testing<

Negative pregnant test and blood test. Could I still be pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2006, and have been trying to conceive since January 07, I am 1week late for my period and have had many signs of pregnancy, including spotting a week before my period was due, since then I have had 5 negative home pregnancy tests, and a hcg level of below 1.5...

View more questions Search