Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StephD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
    Dog ate a pork bone! Please help!
    My 12 yr. Old black lab/sharpie about 45 pounds at a pork rib on Tuesday night. She usually never eats the bones but this time she did. So Wednesday morning/afternoon sometimes she threw up 2 big piles of expanded dry food and I could see pieces of bone in it. The rest of the day Wednesday you could tell she didn't feel good but wasn't lethargic or anything like that. But my husband took her for a run and he said she was OK. She drank water. But she didn't eat anything all day Wednesday after she threw up. Now its Thursday,she still won't eat anything but she is drinking water. I pressed on and rubbed her tummy and she didn't react or act like she has pain. But she seems like she doesn't feel well. So then this afternoon, still Thursday, I went outside to look for stool and she made a stream of a dark tar looking thing. I wiped it with a white paper towel and its definitely bloody stool. I'm so worried about her.

I called the vet and she said don't let her eat any food until this evening, which she doesn't want to do anyway but she said, because her tummy is very upset and needs to settle. And she said that since she's a bigger dog that she might be OK and that the blood in the stool just might be the bones passing and scraping. She said if she was punctured she would probably be very ill by now! Do you agree with that?

She's still alert, even greeted me at the door both times I was in and out today and she barked at the mail man as usual. So the vet told me to get Pepcid AC 10mg to help her tummy feel better so I slipped that down her throat and squirted some water in her mouth. And she told me to call her at 4 or 5pm if she's worse and if not see how she is in the morning!

Do you agree with all of this! I'm so worried about her!
    celticfc Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Vets know the best but bloddy stool doesn't sound right.has it got worse? Try giving her some food she is used too and see if she eats it.did the vet not tell you to take her in? Usually they would have to see the dog and examine them bfore the can acctually diagnos the problem and tell you what to do.after this don't feed our dog pork with bones anymore or chickrn bones get bones that are speccially made for dogs at the pet store they are much more good for dogs and can't cause any harm when the dog eats it.
    StephD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2012, 02:50 PM
    No she's not worse. She just seems like she doesn't feel great. She's a little mopey. But she's alert. Not eating but is drinking water. I gave the vet so much detail that she told me to wait until tonight so see how she's feeling or call if it gets worse but by the sounds of it, the vet thought that we should wait it out.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
    Bones can splinter and cause major problems like lacerations to the intestinal tract or obstruction.
    Just my opinion, but with tarry, bloody stool I would rather think that she should have been seen today.
    If you have an emergency vet in your area I would give them a call and let them know the situation.
    They will be a little more expensive but if the bloody diarrhea and vomiting keeps up she will soon be in need (if not already) of some supportive care to prevent dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
    If you choose not t go this route I would have her to the vet first thing in the morning, don't even comb your hair, just go. If they still think it is not urgent find another vet.
    I wish you the best.
    Beardedsumo Posts: 28, Reputation: 6

Mar 16, 2012, 01:06 PM
    If, as your vet suspects, the bone splinters are simply scraping the bowel walls something to keep stomach acid from irritating the scrapes (at least higher up) might be helpful. It's a little late but some bread can act like pepto for dogs. Pepto doesn't. Next time some bread right afterwards will help form a "cushion" in the gut like bubble wrap in a shipping package.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog ate a small pork bone [ 1 Answers ]

My dog ate a small pork bone last night. She threw up this morning, and again tonight. Should I be worried? She acted normal through out the day. She even pooped twice this morning.

Ahh my dog ate a pork side rib bone [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Should I be calling a vet. My 75lbs ridgeback ate a Cooked pork side rib bone, (4 of them) off the counter. They were about the size of a ladies ring finger. My fiancé and I are pretty freaked out. She seems OK right now, but we are watching her closely. Any advice??

Dog ate Pork Bone [ 4 Answers ]

My Terrier ate Pork bone and is throwing up now. Haven't seen any diarrea just throwing up. What should I do?

My dog ate a pork bone [ 13 Answers ]

My fox terrier ate a pork bone last night and this morning at 6 am he went out to potty and was having trouble pooping. I let him in and out a few times finally when he did go it was in the house and when I cleaned it up I noticed it was hard and had bone fragments in it. Then he started to throw...

My dog ate a pork bone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog ate a cooked pork bone tonight. My dad gave it to her thinking that it was OK because we have given her beef bones and she does good with those. I am worried because I heard that they split and can do a lot of damage. I don't know what to do. She is a lab/beagle mix and about 50lbs. Do I...

View more questions Search