Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helenmurphy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 09:41 AM
    21 year old son trouble?
    My 21 year old son has got some public order offences against him over alcohol. Last week he stole handbag from pub. Keeps getting into trouble. Smokes cannabis at weekends. Works during the week. What do I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 09:44 AM
    Does he live with you?

What does he say about all this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
    If you are enabling him by providing housing, money, something else you stop and let him stand on his own two feet.

You can't make anyone do what they don't want to do. You can talk to him about changing his ways, but ultimately it's his choice.
    Stellaw Posts: 171, Reputation: -1

Mar 24, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Discipline him. You have to guide your son and should not tolerate misbehavior, wrongful acts, offenses, drug addiction, and all those sorts. Tell him that he ought to be ashamed of himself and that he's just hurting his reputation or name. Also tell him that you love him so much that's why you do not want him to do bad acts. Parents must always guide their child to go on the right path. Jesus always guides us so should parents too.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellaw View Post
    Discipline him. You have to guide your son and should not tolerate misbehavior, wrongful acts, offenses, drug addiction, and all those sorts. Tell him that he ought to be ashamed of himself and that he's just hurting his reputation or name. Also tell him that you love him so much that's why you do not want him to do bad acts. Parents must always guide their child to go on the right path. Jesus always guides us so should parents too.

Please - not everyone here is Christian. Not everyone has your belief system. I believe religious advice is inappropriate here.

The son is already out of control. Now what do you recommend? It appears to be a little late to "guide" and/or lecture him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2012, 10:22 AM
    Visit him in jail on the weekends come to mind. He is a adult and you do not and should not really have to do anything. You don't pay his bills, don't allow him to do things under your control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a 22 year old date a 17 year old without getting in trouble by the law? [ 8 Answers ]

Moved to its own thread I'm in love with a 22 yr old and in February I will be 17. He is 22. We broke up because his mom hates me and I would be very heart broken if he went to jail because of me. He graduated high school but he hasn't gotten any college. In our relationship he was more like the...

Can a 23 year old date a 17 year old without getting in trouble by the law? [ 1 Answers ]

Moved to its own thread My brother is 23 dating a 17yr old that just turn 17 might i add. I keep telling him he is sick and needs help and he keeps telling me she is (barely legal) she is ok to date him and just recently said a cop said it was ok. And this isn't the first young girl he has...

19 year old son trouble [ 8 Answers ]

OK, long story. I'll try to give the condensed version. My son who is 19 has been in multiple car accidents in the past 2 years, we have just settled a law suit brought against us due to one of them. He has had uncountable tickets, lost his license many time. Went into credit card dept by $2000.00....

View more questions Search