Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Mar 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
    Handling of drug problem at school
    Some of my kids' friends spoke at my home about witnessing drugs at school and seeing nothing done when they reported it. (In their perspective) I listened and advised kids to continue to report what they see to principal but they explained they were mostly hesitant since teachers seemed to dismiss the behavior, other students would judge them/ostracize them if they told, they felt scared to talk to principal, they didn't want to miss class. But they also expressed concern for a friend becoming influenced by the 'druggies' and wished they could help her. These are mostly honor students and they consider me an approachable parent. I told the kids I would find out what was going on and get back to them. I looked up policies in school handbook and approached the principal explaining some students I did not name had mentioned reporting drug issues and seen nothing happen and according to handbook there should have been long suspensions, rehab, and police reports with possible arrest. I explained the need for confidentiality so reporting kids would not be retaliated against, as I have witnessed this in other things at this school and I mentioned that. My intention was to find out what the school was doing (generalities not specifics of the kids involved doing drugs) and then go talk to the parents of the kids I'd talked to to discuss how we all might protect our kids and help them find a voice for their concerns.

Rather than get back to me with any answer this principal went to speak to my minor child and asked the names of the kids who had spoken to me. My child gave the names, feeling she had to because the principal asked her. Then the principal talked to those kids and later had a drug counselor talk to them, too. I didn't find out until my kid came home from school. Her best friend was mad at her.

Now these kids feel I violated their trust and I don't blame them. I don't think it was my place or the principal's place to decide the involvement level of these kids. It opens up liability and safety issues. I am half expecting a call from parents tonight.

I'd like to know thoughts of others on the behaviors/liability created by this principal. I have already told her she is not to speak to my child about these issues again without parents present unless my child initiates it. She has agreed. I've asked her to explain to the parents that I never gave out names and had paid attention myself to protecting confidentiality. Not sure if she'll do that. No response as of yet. (I was emailing her after school)

My child tells me the drug counselor explained that the school HAS reported the drugs to the police but the police just tell them to suspend the students and police have taken no actions of their own. Counselor said she wished at the HS level a kid could be arrested to set an example which would help her out greatly.

How might I help her accomplish this? I already recognized the local police chief is greatly biased on other things. He's been in mild trouble for bringing lesser charges on other issues w/out probable cause. I find it ridiculous he'll do that but not arrest a kid for drugs on campus. I know noting about the drug world. Educate me!

Thanks much!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Why didn't you call the police instead of the Principle? Not just your local yokals... but the State Police. The principle can't do much of anything except cover it all up so they look like they are doing their job.

You can't do a lot... the teachers can't do a lot... the cops CAN do a lot... including coming through the school with drug sniffing dogs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
    The issue is first the kids are all minors, next the police has to witness the crimes, which is hard to do. So why are teachers not catching the kids and expelling them or holding them for the police. Is there any resource officers at the school ( school police)

But depending on where the drugs come from and some of the kids, these kids reporting and naming names can put them in serious danger. In fact you may have put your own child's life in danger from drug dealers and others by putting them in the middle naming witnesses and putting them in the front of what is happening.

Mar 13, 2012, 08:06 PM
    But, Fr Chuck, my intention was NOT to involve the kids this stupid principal did!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2012, 04:57 AM
    That's why you should have gone to the State Police...

Remember Joe Paterno and Penn State... thats what you get when the proper authorities aren't notified and they try to keep it in-house.

The principle isn't law enforcement... he's a paper pusher...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2012, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabee4 View Post
    Counselor said she wished at the HS level a kid could be arrested to set an example which would help her out greatly.

How might I help her accomplish this? I already recognized the local police chief is greatly biased on other things. He's been in mild trouble for bringing lesser charges on other issues w/out probable cause. I find it ridiculous he'll do that but not arrest a kid for drugs on campus. I know noting about the drug world. Educate me!
    Hello w:

STOP!

You already got yourself AND your kid in trouble by your meddling.. Snitches DO get hurt. NOW you want to do MORE? First off, the COPS won't help ANYBODY. Second off, the SCHOOL isn't interested in HELPING anybody.

If it were me, I'd tell my kid to keep his head down and mind his own business. That's GOOD advice for you too. He's going to SEE a lot of wrong in the world as he grows up, and there's NOTHING he CAN or SHOULD do about it.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 07:31 AM
    I will agree with excon here, do you think that every kid in school did not know you were at the school and who you were before you even left the school ( OK maybe not that fast but very fast) even if the principal did not go see your son.

Next of course the teachers know what is going on, but most are too scared to do anything either, they don't want to be attacked going home one night or have their family harmed.
    The principal could call the police in to do searches of lockers and the school. They could put monitors in the halls, police searching bags if they wanted to. Guess what they don't want to, and parent and civil right groups don't want them to either.

Unless you are ready for the result, you don't do anything, and ignore what you see. If you need something done, go to the police with names, dates and times and be willing to testify in court and take what comes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
    Basically, you could have gone to the Board of Education.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Hello again, w:

Let me expand on my previous answer..

There IS a lot of wrong out there. I don't like it. I DO stuff about it. I WRITE. But, what I DON'T do is put myself or my family at risk. So, I'm not putting down people who want to make a better society...

There IS a place for people who are willing to put their bodies on the line for a cause, and I applaud them. YOU might BE one of them. But, what the Padre and I are saying, is you either need to be ALL IN, or out. There's NO in between.

If you're IN, you CAN probably get ALL of those things the Padre mentioned at your school, like dogs, and strip searches, and lock downs. J is right too. If the principal won't help, you CAN go to the board of education.. If the cops don't help, you CAN go to the state police AND the press. If the cops DO arrest somebody, you CAN, or more accurately, will be REQUIRED to testify at their trial..

You can do ALL of that, and if you're an activist, you SHOULD. Just be prepared to take the heat you'll generate... If you're NOT prepared to take the heat, STOP.

excon

Mar 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
    Excon and others,

Gotcha. Do I need to point out that all I contacted the principal (and I did not go to the school and was not seen, Fr_ Chuck, I 'approached' this by email) about was to find out what in general (I in no way expected her to tell me specifics about specific druggies, and I stated as much) was actually being done.

Again, I point out I have no first hand knowledge of any of the drug use, so there's nothing for me to testify and I only became liable thanks to this principal going straight to my minor kid without me there to advise my kid NOT to name names, which I most certainly would have done. (I'm not entirely stupid, excon! :) )

I agree strongly with the perception smoothy has that the school is savng face. Why else would the principal have such a strong need to worm out the snitches if not to quell any bad news --do damage control-- about the school getting out? Seems to me if she really wanted to make a good school (in actuality, not just in fearful pretend world) she'd want to know the druggies and form what I had emailed her, she already knew them because these kids had already reported them at various times.

I recognize the police chief as a do-nothing sorry-arse donut eater (sorry! To all who love cops, I ain't one of you. Been a firefighter, know what cops do or don't do... )

Excon, appreciate your follow up, as your initial post was disheartening. Once a firefighter, always a firefighter (in my heart, rushing on when others run away... ) but also a mother bear and protecting my kids (even from myself) is priority #1.

I have contacted my lawyer and ask that he immediately address this situation, making principal aware her behavior has opened up my liability and we hold her directly responsible, forcing her to straighten out this with the other parents to know it was her doing, not mine, that involved their kids, and informing school and cops that protecting their image at the expense of the kids who want to get an education will not be tolerated. We'll see how that goes...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Conicted for drug sale, can I go back to school [ 3 Answers ]

I was convicted of criminal sale of marijuana 3rd in NY state. Are there any loans or scholarships available for me to go back to school?

School Mandated Drug Rehab - NJ [ 10 Answers ]

My son is 17. He was randomly tested in school in October 2008. He failed for marijuana. School policy is he had to go to out-patient. He has been since then. In February 2009, the director of rehab said he HAD to go to in-patient. He doesn't like his "attitude". We have NO health...

View more questions Search