Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ridgerunner001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
    Recently acquired pitbull that has a sleep problem
    Recently acquired a 7 week old pit that has nightmares. Should we wake him or let him sleep through it? We have been waking him and providing as much reassurance as we can but we neede to know if we are doing the right thing for him. >email address removed<
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
    What does he do that makes you think he is having nightmares?
    Also, he is pretty young, at what age did you acquire him?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Dogs have weird sleep patterns, it doesn't have to be a nightmare, and most dogs will be fine if you let them sleep through it. It could just be a reaction to a new home environment. But I am sure all the extra reassurance won't hurt either :)
    celticfc Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
    How do you know he is having nigtmares? He needs his sleep remember and having nightmares isn't a major problem it can't hurt the dog he is still very young when did you get him? Where does he sleep?just make sure you are righ beside him if is scared or yelping or if he wakes up and his heart is beating really fast or shaking be there too comfort him and talk too him.

Mar 15, 2012, 02:02 AM
    Nightmare on Sterle Ave
    Recently purchased a pit pup that has nightmares. Is it better to let him sleep through it or wake him up? I've heard all the wives tails now lets hear something real.
    armydan69 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2012, 02:05 AM
    Let it sleep, it startles them when woken up in the middle of a nightmare.

Mar 15, 2012, 02:06 AM
    A Nightmare on Sterle Ave.
    Should you allow a dog to sleep t6hrough a nightmare or wake him or her?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 02:30 AM
    Again, why are you convinced he is having nightmares?
    Dogs dream, yes, They may whine, act as if they are running, grunt, even bark.
    And you may get bitten startling a dog from sleep.
    If your pup is frantic or upset then you may need to discuss this with your vet when you take your newly purchased puppy in for his first check up and vaccines.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 02:30 AM
    What wives tales? What makes you think they are nightmares? I doubt it is collective memory at 7 weeks old; dogs move in their sleep, their legs move as if running, they whimper, they growl, doesn't mean nightmares.

If you want to hear something real, don't wake him up. A seven week old puppy will appear to sleep his life away, but in fact, this is the time they are growing.

Why did you ask your question many times, it wasn't necessary, we can all read what you want to know
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 07:33 AM
    You have gotten some great answers so far. Do not wake the pup to give reassurance! Giving reassurance , comfort or praise will send the dog mixed messages, he doesn't understand what you are doing and can easily learn the wrong lesson from your comfortable. All my dogs dream, they run in their sleep, howl, snap and even bark. Like a human, it's a natural thing for the brain to do during REM and NREM sleep. Stages of Sleep: REM and Non-REM Sleep Cycles Waking a person, and I assume a dog, further disorients them.

Mar 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Well that is perplexing, how did my answer warrant a reddie? Does someone out there believe you should wake up a dog that is dreaming? Their noises may make it look like they are suffering but they are not.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Don't worry Ball, it's been happening to all of us lately.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Well that is perplexing, how did my answer warrant a reddie? Does someone out there believe you should wake up a dog that is dreaming?? Their noises may make it look like they are suffering but they are not.
    It may not be the OP, it could be a troll around here again, stirring up trouble.

But I had noticed, as maybe you did, OP kept on asking even when they got an answer, as if the answer wasn't legit or something.

I re-iterate, in case OP sees this

DO NOT WAKE UP YOUR BABY. SHE NEEDS HER SLEEP TO PROGRESS AND GROW AND LEARN. OKAY
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Dogs don't have nightmares.

Is he yipping and growling? If so... its just a dream. A regular dream.

I've always believed that you should be able to play with your dog and pet him and play with his feet while he is asleep. It teaches the dog that its OK to be touched while he is sleeping. Otherwise, if you don't touch your dog, any time you move him, he may jump up and be aggressive towards you.

Once again.. Dogs don't have nightmares. If they do, they wake up on their own with no problems.

Mar 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
    There you go tickle. We may get reddies from strangers but we know where the greenies come from.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Dogs dont have nightmares.

Is he yipping and growling? If so... its just a dream. A regular dream.

I've always believed that you should be able to play with your dog and pet him and play with his feet while he is asleep. It teaches the dog that its ok to be touched while he is sleeping. Otherwise, if you dont touch your dog, any time you move him, he may jump up and be aggressive towards you.

Once again.. Dogs dont have nightmares. If they do, they wake up on their own with no problems.
    Yes, when brook is sleeping and having a dream of chasing squirrels, I can touch any part of her body cause she knows my touch and only stirs and becomes more settled, but doesn't wake up.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Lady is chasing bunnies as we speak :)
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
    Don't tell Alty Aurora... Owen has always been a "talker in his sleep" and sometimes he will jerk and move. I have always taken it as he is dreaming of running and playing with no need of leashes and fences :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
    I think the one giving the Reddies is that Celtic person... It may be on accident to.. But it seems every time I get a Reddie, that Celtic person was commenting as well...

Mar 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
    I have heard that too and think I got one of those crimson kisses earlier in this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hello mam I have a chest heaviness problem.if I sleep straight on my back my chest fe [ 1 Answers ]

Hello mam I have a chest heaviness problem.if I sleep straight on my back my chest feel heavy and breathing problem somtime its burning also I want to know is their any problem.one more thing I feel chest heaviness but not pain.please help me.

Can psychiatric problem cause deep sleep like condition like in stupor? [ 1 Answers ]

My mom has been suffering from deep sleep like syndrome from last 9 months. She had almost 7 deep sleep like attacks where she responds very little ( like open her mouth when a spoon of food or water is kept and she is asked repeatedly to take it) and this symptoms continues for 4-5 days. Then she...

Sleep Problem [ 20 Answers ]

For years I have sleep apnea and narcolepsy. I was driving 37 miles to work and the same back home. I would find myself dosing off and drifting on the highway. Nock wood I never had an accident because of my condition. I was under a doctor’s care my last sleep test was years back and you people...

Sleep problem [ 9 Answers ]

So my sister has some sleeping issues... and need help... for the past week she has only gotten about 12 hours of sleep... yesterday she slept for 3 hours and has been up since then and that's more then 24 hours she has been up for.. and she says she can not fall asleep for anything she lays in bed...

Pitbull pooping problem [ 17 Answers ]

I have had my puppy for about 4months, when we got him he was 4 months. Every since we got him we have been trying to train him and it has been nothing but a problem. When we think he's got it we will come up and find poop in his cage. Is it to late to try and train him or is there something we can...

View more questions Search