Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanoue616 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Can I terminate my lease if my landlord has failed to remedy a roach infestation?
    I am currently renting an apartment in Arizona. I have been battling with a persistent roach problem for almost two months. I have been sprayed, baited and sprayed, baited and sprayed again, and just recently been bombed. The roaches are still there. I have done everything I need to do e.g. Taking out the trash, not leaving food out, cleaning all the time. My landlord refuses to let me go with out paying all the fees of breaking a lease. I have given them a 10 day demand for repairs. It was my understanding that they have 10 days to fix the problem. My landlord insists that they can do whatever they want for how ever long they want and as long as they are "trying" to fix the problem I can't leave. Is this true? If several attempts have been made to get rid of the problem and it still exhists am I forced to stay. Or break the lease and be penalized?
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alanoue616 View Post
    My landlord insists that they can do whatever they want for how ever long they want and as long as they are "trying" to fix the problem I can't leave. Is this true?
    We didn't draft your lease, so we can't answer that.

I do have some advice though: clean your apartment and then take pictures to use as potential evidence in small claims court should he try to keep your security deposit.

Get familiar with your lease. Carefully read the sections that describe the landlord's responsibilities and your rights as a tenant. Then, read through Arizona's state laws regarding tenant rights.

If you're confident he broke the contract designated in your lease or by Arizona law, confront him, demand your security deposit, and make it clear that you have photo documentation of the current state of the apartment.

Contact him daily asking about the status of your security deposit refund. He will understand that you mean business and will give you what you want rather than deal with you.
    keithbarlow Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Mar 14, 2012, 05:10 PM
    I agree with the above poster. You need to read your lease and if you have a lawyer friend maybe ask them to read for you. As a secondary matter, take pictures and lay the predicate for a future small claims case.

Most states have "Warrants of Habitability" laws. I do not know what Arizona law is but maybe you can Google "Warrant of Habitability" and "Arizona" and you can find the statute.

Obviously, I don't know how bad the roach problem is so it is hard to determine whether your landlord is in breach of your lease or state statute.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
    If the landlord is doing all the spraying and bombing, then it appears they are trying. Bad roaches will come back two or three times due to eggs laid before they are gone and can take several months of constant treatment.
    Have they done it all themselves or have they called a company? Have you considered informing them if things are not done, you will call a company to spray ?

Also is this a house or apartmetn where other apartments could be the issue, if an apartment is he spraying all of them.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
    Read page (. http://www.azag.gov/civil_rights/Ten...sibilities.pdf Like Chuck says it appears the LL is trying to fix the issue. "been sprayed, baited and sprayed, baited and sprayed again, and just recently been bombed" You can also check with the local heath department to see if this roach problem makes your apartment uninhabitable by their standards, page 9 says he must meet the local codes.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
    Out of "agrees" but agree with Ballenger and FrChuck - you don't fumigate once and they pack their suitcases and move on.

The ll is showing good faith.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 5 yr lease w 2 yrs gone by can the landlord all of a sudden terminate lease? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 5 yr lease w 2 yrs gone by can the landlord all of a sudden terminate lease?

Can a landlord terminate a lease before it begins? [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I signed a lease 3 weeks ago for an apartment in Hoboken NJ. The guy who owns the condo was renting the property out himself. Yesterday, 3 weeks before we are supposed to move in, I got an email stating that the landlord will not be renting us the apartment with absolutely no...

Landlord wants to terminate lease [ 1 Answers ]

The land lord wants to terminate my lease as his house he is living in now was foreclosed on. And wants to live in my rental.I need to know how a buy out works and what I can ask for as I have 5 months left and have been in this house for 4 and half yrs with no problems. Is there laws in Florida...

Landlord to terminate tenant lease [ 1 Answers ]

My tenant has a month to month lease here in va. How many days notice am I required to give for a lease termination and do those days start from the date of notification or the first day of the next full month?

View more questions Search