Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkstein Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Harassing Neighbor
    We moved into our house 7 months ago and our neighbor has called several times to complain about various things. The latest phone call was in regards to my husband smoking a brisket for MY birthday party! She claims that the smoke hovers in her back yard and she and her husband are not able to enjoy their back yard due to the smoke. Mind you, they live north of us and the wind was blowing out of the north so I am not sure how it was exactly hovering in her yard this last instance.

This is not the first time we have had problems with her calling to give us her opinions. First, she told my daughter not to play her trumpet in OUR house after six o’clock!! Second, she called and complained that my six pound dog, who never goes outside, was barking too much. Third, was for the bbq-ing. And on, and on….

We are trying to be cordial but this is getting a bit ridiculous. We have just as much right to enjoy our back yard as she and her husband do, and its not like my husband bbq’s daily. He maybe bbq’s once every 2 months!! We just want to know if there is any legal action we can take to stop the harassing! We are not sure if we should notify the constables and get it on record or what. We are concerned that the whinging is coming more frequently.
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Feb 19, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Where do you live this sounds like what we were going through before we sold our house 7 months ago.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Normally I try to be tactful and diplomatic but,. Ahhh. It just scorches my biscuits when someone can't even enjoy their new home. I think I will come over and make her really crazy. I am sure she would love to have a Pitbull walking around on the street directly in front of her house!

From what you are describing it does not sound like this nut has any grounds for complaints. At this point, being cordial is unrealistic. These people aren't doing that, why should you? Since she seems to be refusing to be a good neighbor, I would make an attempt to get her to just leave you be.

I think you should take a trip down to the local police station and speak with a desk officer. Tell him what is going on and ask for his advice. They deal with this all the time and he may have a simple solution. Ask him if there is a law on the books for peaceful enjoyment of property.

If nothing comes of this, you may want to change your phone number to an unlisted number. Then she would be forced to come knocking on your door. Either way, whether her complaints are by phone or in person, I would begin to keep a journal. Note the date, the time, and the complaint she is making. If it is on the increase, the pattern will show up. Then, when you have collected a dozen or so, I would take a trip back down to the local police station. Explain to whoever is there what is happening, that you had asked for help from ___________ (name of officer) and what the outcome of that was. Show him/her the journal. Ask him what the laws are regarding trespassing because she is coming onto your property uninvited. Ask him if you can file an order of protection against her and how you would go about doing that where you live. Doing this would keep her from having any contact with you and your family. If she violates it, she can be fined. If she continues to violate, she can be jailed. Should put enough of a scare into her to get her to keep her mouth shut and mind her own business.

I am sure others will stop by to give you their opinions and suggestions. Sift through all of our advice, and choose the one that you think will work for you. :) Good Luck!
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Crystal! Did you sell your house to this poor unsuspecting couple? Shame on you! I am now advising bk to sue you! :)

Actually, bk the other possible legal action instead of an order of protection would be to file a harassment complaint to start with. The police will go to her house to investigate and there will be a report written. If this happens a few times, depending on their outcome, you might have grounds for a lawsuit. Or, the police can advise her of this. It may make her think twice about bothering you anymore.

Feb 19, 2007, 02:48 PM
    I don't know but if I did I'm sooo sorry, the neighbors I had were awfull they were always fighting with us about our yard saying they owned it and every time we had some friends over they always found some reason to call the cops and complain. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh they just really knew how to piss me off. I don't miss them
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Keep a log as Ruby says. Screen your calls... no reason to listen to the crazy old bat.

Personally, I'd have a bit of fun with it:

I'd do a bit of research on noise ordinances and such, and do everything possible to get right up to the edge of violations... take up the tuba and practice one note for two hours every night out in the yard.

Oh, and two words are every crazy neighbor's worst nightmare:

Lawn ornaments.

Feb 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Also the guy was always watching me I felt so unsafe in my own yard. I swear every time he herd a noise he would come running out his door to see what was ging on it got so bad that my friends would refuse to come over

Feb 19, 2007, 02:51 PM
    We live in Houston

Feb 19, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Nope Georgia here just goes to show there's crazy goons everywhere at every corner and on every street.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Nk, how close is your property to hers? Are you on a small parcel of property? If so, I would consider putting in one of those 8 foot privacy fences in the back yard, extending it with a gate on either side of the house. So, the only way you are forced to see them is when you walk out the front door to your car.

Feb 19, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    nk, how close is your property to hers? Are you on a small parcel of property? If so, I would consider putting in one of those 8 foot privacy fences in the back yard, extending it with a gate on either side of the house. So, the only way you are forced to see them is when you walk out the front door to your car.
    We are pretty close... quarter acre lots. The fence is tempting... although I am liking James' lawn ornament idea... that would really peeve them off. Here come the pink flamingos, garden gnomes, and lots of things that you blow up at every holiday! :D
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 19, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Disclaimer: I don't actually recommend trying to out-crazy the crazy, but if you do... well, stories would be appreciated :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Lol. There you go! Yes, James always has level headed advice. I would do the same.

Years ago I lived in a co-op complex. I had a neighbor at the opposite end of the hallway that decided she was the hall monitor. She used to constantly complain about everyone's comings and goings. This was an old building and once your front door was closed, you could barely hear what was going on in the hallway. She was a very intelligent woman, a college professor, who had left her job to raise her kids. They were very young when I moved in. I think she just didn't have enough to challenge her mind. She would sit outside her door in the hallway, in bare feet and just yell things at people. Normally I would just ignore her. Everyone in our hallway thought she was crazy. It was so weird. :eek:

Anyway, one day she made one too many comments to me and that was it. I had had a bad day at work, it was late, I was tired and I came home to find the nut job. Boy, did I let her have it. Lost my cool. Yelled at her to mind her effing business. Can't remember what else came out of my mouth, it was a long time ago. But, I still remember the look of terror on her face. That was the last time I saw her. A little while later the family moved! Everyone in the hallway cheerfully greeted the new neighbors, who were sweet and kind and minded their own business.

So, maybe I will take a trip to Houston. I'll fix her for you!:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pushy neighbor [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice on how to deal with our pushy neighbor. I basically like him and adore his wife but would like ideas on how to deal with his behavior better. Our neighbor is the type that started asking for favors at the start before he ever lived here while building his house across the street. He...

Landlord harassing me to move [ 18 Answers ]

I'm a disabled person with an in-home-care provider. I have lived in my rented home (2 houses on one lot) for 7 years. Sept 2005 the propery was sold to a couple with 2 children. They moved into the rear house and after a month of living there, told me they were the new landlords and that I need...

Neighbor harassment [ 2 Answers ]

In a case of credit card debt, when the account has gone to a collection agency, is it legal for them to call the owner of the account's neighbors and discuss the account,etc. with them,on the pretense of being unable to make contact? If not, who can this be reported to?

Harassing or annoying calls [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any law against companies, private or public, continuing to make annoying phone calls to your private residence even after you have left messages on their answering machine to stop? Also is there any law dealing with how late in the evening they can call? I have the same company calling...

Neighbor boy harassing my daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbor is 15 years old, and his mouth is atrocious. He calls my 12 year old daughter the filthiest names, which embarrass her, since he does this when she is with her girlfriends. His parents make him apologize, but then it happens again and again. This has been going on for 4 years. Since...

View more questions Search