Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aalleng1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Custody Rights for Newborn
    What are the general custody rights to a father of a newborn?
    tiffanyinflorida Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Dec 22, 2007, 01:11 PM
    They are very general for all cases. They have to be inforced by a court judgment awarding visitation guidelines. As a newborn, the visitation would probably be a few hours here and there certain days of the week. As the child ages they time allotment would progess in time and overnight visits. Unless you think the child would be in danger they should be encouraged to have a relationship with their father. You would only be harming the child by isolating the relationship.
    Johyne80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2010, 09:03 AM
    I live in Va and my husband is a convicted felon. We have been separated since Nov of 09 and he lives with his married girlfriend in an apartment he isn't supposed to be in. I am 8 months pregnant with our daughter and he is now wanted to take me to court for custody. I need to know if has any legal barrings to do so? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Johyne80 View Post
    I need to know if has any legal barrings to do so?
    Yes, you both have shared parental rights. You need to go to court to get the court to delineate each of your custody, visitation, and child support rights and obligations.
    aarontoo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2011, 10:40 PM
    Children born in the common wealth to a married couple are presumed to be the offspring of the husband... Thus if you were not married when the child was born... hmmm
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Johyne80 View Post
    I... I am 8 months pregnant with our daughter and he is now wanted to take me to court for custody. I need to know if has any legal barrings to do so? ...
    My earlier answer applied to the child who has already been born. He can't go for custody of an unborn child until she is born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Rights Vs Full Custody [ 2 Answers ]

What Does It Mean To Give Up Your Parental Rights And Is It The Same As Full Custody?

Custody & visitation for newborn [ 4 Answers ]

I need advise. My pregnant wife and were married less than two months when she asked for a separation and now divorce. I did not want either, but she is unwilling to work it out. She now wants to draw up the separation notice to include strict visitation. I want to be fully involved in my child’s...

Relinquishing rights/custody [ 2 Answers ]

I am the single mother of a 14 year old boy who wants to relinquish my custody to my parents. I AM NOT looking to relinquish my legal responsibilities (I've perused previous messages). My son's father has never been involved in his life and never wanted him so it's been the two of us from day one...

Custody/moving rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in process of divorcing wife. I have not lived with her for 6 months and money is only issue stopping divorce. I take my child and her child from a previous relationship every weekend. If I could take them more I would but I need to work 60 hours to meet my bills. We have nothing legally in...

Custody rights [ 4 Answers ]

I am married (for 12 years). My husband and I have a five year old daughter. The relationship has been a bit rock over the past few years for various reasons. I want to know where I stand if this ever did go down the divorce path, as far a custody is concerned. My husand and I agreed that one of...

View more questions Search