Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abcangels Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Why not terminate
    Hi I have a child who hasn't seen or heard from her father in about 3 years. At that time he decided he needed to move out of state even though that would mean probably not seeing him. I did all I could in trying to locate the father after he moved and then he decided to move back to the area. In doing so he decided to start paying child support again. He has yet to contact me and let me know he moved back I found out through my own private sources. What kind of rights do I have of withholding visitations since he hasn't cared enough to call or write or contact in any way in the past 3 years. It would be way too hard on the child to hand him over to him after such a long time apart. The last time they had their visitations it caused so much pain that he actually was put in child play therapy. Do I have any rights to with hold? And if so for how long?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 01:03 PM
    More information is needed here - were you married to this man and there was a divorce that stipulated custody and visitation? You do have rights and your child has rights and his Dad has rights - you all have them. I am more worried about your child's rights here.

How did your ex get by so far by "deciding to pay child support"? Was it not ordered? Is there back support to pay? If so, why hasn't his taxes or wages been garnished until that debt is met?

If you have total and sole custody of your child, you can set visitation - you do not have to just hand over your child. You can stupilate that visitations will be made with supervision - at your county social services office or some neutral place (if you do not want the ex at your residence). If your ex comes to your residence, make sure there is a neutral party there not only to monitor but to mediate, as I think there is enough bad feelings between you two and this will affect your child.

If you have not contacted an attorney verses in Family Law, please do so. Every state has a Legal Assistance agency and offers legal services on a sliding scale fee. Is your son currently in any therapy? Are you? It does not sound like a bad idea - you could benefit from some relationship counseling dealing with your ex and your feelings. I would also hope that whatever you feel for your ex (in the negative sense) you keep from your child. The best way to taint a child's perspective of their absent parent is to hear all the bad things that person did. Maybe your ex is the lowest life form in your eyes. But your child will pick that up and adopt those feelings. Yes, I understand your need to protect your child but do not use your child as a buffer.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
    My question here is makes you think he will ask for visitation? Why not cross that bridge if it comes to it. But he is legally entiteld to anything ordered by the court. You would have to file a petition in Family Court to change the court order.
    abcangels Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
    In addition to provide more info. Yes we were married, now I have remarried, and the new husband is looking to try to adopt the child in question. This would be the best move for the child for all the reasons, stability, lovingness, feeling wanted, ect... anyway so we consulted a couple of lawyers since the ex doesn't contact and is very irresponsible with payment of support. This child is the only child in this mixed family that has a different last name and since they are in school it makes it a daily reminder that he is different. Even though we remind him that that doesn't mean he is any less special. And as I said the child already spent about a year in counciling which tells me that the ex should stay gone since we haven't needed counseling for the last 2 years. But I think that the suggestions I have been given helped I will look into the option of changing the visitation status to protect my child. It isn't fair to feel not wanted for so long and then to have him step back in to his life like it is all OK. Being a father is not a part time job it is a god given responsiblilty and if you don't want it do something about it. Making a child feel unwanted is unacceptable.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 07:24 PM
    I wish you the very best in getting legal help for your situation, because you really need that approach to ensure the best for your son. Am happy to hear your husband wants to adopt your child. Hope it all works out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abcangels
    Yes we were married, now I have remarried, and the new husband is looking to try to adopt the child in question.
    That does change the picture. Generally this is where the courts do favor the relinquishment of rights in favor of an adoptive parent. However, the relinquishment of rights, still doesn't remove the obligations, it's the act of adoption that does that. The adopting parent assumes the obligations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AZ. Terminate Probation Early [ 6 Answers ]

I was sentenced to 3 years probation for a misd charge in Arizona/Maricopa County/Scottsdale City Court. I was told by my probation officer that I could get off after 18 months. My 18 months is up and my probation officer said she would not contest. What do I need to do? Forms, motions,...

Terminate parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son who is 15, used to live with me and my wife. I had physical custody. He became violent and disruptive and very hard to handle. My exwife moved him in with her for a while, but he also got into trouble there. To make a long story short,he now lives with my ex brother in law and he now has...

Terminate fathers rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am the maternal grandmother and I have custody of my grandaughter since 2003 while her father was incarcerated. He got out in 2005 and because I asked for child support he went to court and asked for visitation and custody. We have been back and forth in court since march, 2006 and he has since...

Terminate Father Rights In Ca. [ 11 Answers ]

HI, I want to know what are the steps to sign my child over to her mom. My daughter is going to turn 7 years-old in January, her mom has called cps 100 times, all allegation were unfound it, they said my new wife was slapping my kid, they say that my step son was touching her in the privates...

Notice To Terminate [ 7 Answers ]

I'm new to this fourm so I'm not sure if I'm posting this on the right thread. If not if someone can redirect me that would be great. We are in a house that we have been renting. It started as a buy. The escrow was for 90 days and the owners were renting the house to us until the escrow closed....

View more questions Search