Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mungbeans Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
    Does changing from a J1 to a H1 visa mid-way through the tax year affect my filing?
    I moved to the US from Canada in March of 2011 and will be filing my US tax return for the first time.

From March till Sept I was working in the US with a J1 visa, then it changed to a H1 visa. I think associated with that change is a change of status from non-resident alien to resident alien or similar. While on the J1 my payroll deductions were pretty small (didn't have reductions for things such as 401k etc.), after switching to a H1 visa my deductions became much higher.

My question is - are there a different set of forms for filing as a non-resident alien to a resident-alien (or similar, depending upon what my exact status was)? And if so, as my status changed during the tax year do I fill in one form, which one, or both.

If I fill in the same tax form as everybody else, but there is a section where I say what my status is, as my status changed, then what do I say my status is? And is there a section for saying when and how my status changed?

TIA

TIA
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
    You did not complete SPT in 2011 so you are nonresident for 2011. If you are not married, file nonresident tax return and Form 8843. You can claim treaty deduction if you had income during J1. Nonresident Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Mar 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Thanks, I am married, my wife is a Canadian citizen and here on a H-4 and thus has no US income and I had income while on the J1.

Regarding SPT, as I came here in March I have been here more than 183 days in 2011 - or does the 183 only start to be counted from when I had a H1?

Mar 12, 2012, 03:07 PM
    Another complication is for the first 3 months of 2011 I have Canadian income - would I declare this to its? I was planning on filing a separate tax return in Canada.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax refund if company changed location from NY to NJ mid year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in NJ and work for a company which was located (not sure if incorporated is correct term!) in NY (NYC) and later moved the office to NJ. For the duration the company office was in NYC I was taxed by NY state tax laws and later by NJ state tax laws. Would I be able to claim...

L1 visa tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,

L1 Visa and L2 Visa Filing tax for Year 2007. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L1 Visa in US since May 2007. My Wife (non working ) is on L2 Visa since Oct 2007. 1. I have recevied my W2 Form from my employer. When I am filing tax Which form should I fill 1040 ? Or 1040 EZ? 2. My wife doesn't have SSN. Is she eligible for SSN ? 3. Should I Apply ITIN or SSN...

L1 visa filing Taxes for year 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

My US L1 visa issued on 25th Jan 2007 and came in USA on 26th Jan 2007 first time and my wife on L2 visa came in 5th April 2007 first time. And in US since then. I earned Jan 2007 Salary in India and paid taxes for Jan 2007 in India and earned some medical expense bills, Exgratia, some miner...

Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes. My background: I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for...

View more questions Search