Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex1491 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Working in New York and living in Pennsylavania
    I was doing the IT-203 Non resident tax retur. I noticed there is a line for College Tuition itemized deuction. (Also on NYS schedule C for college itemized deuction).
    The question is simple, but could not find the answer. Since I live in PA, I did not see anything that says you cannot deduct against your NY income for college tuition. Normally one would assume if you are not a resident, you cannot deduct it. The amount of the tuition for undergraduate fulltime came to $4,109 for me. So, can I deduct it or not ?
    I suspect that if you dig, you will not find the answer to this simple question.

If you like you can email me at [email protected] or call me at 215-3218782
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 06:34 PM
    I do not believe you can claim this deduction if you are a non-resident (remember that IT-203 is for part-year residents as well).

A call to the NY State tax authorities will get you an answer, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in New jersey and working in New York [ 5 Answers ]

For some time now I've been thinking of making a career move. I live in New Jersey, I am looking to work in New York City and would like to know how would filing taxes affect my weekly pay. For instance would both NJ and NY tax me. How does this work?

Taxes: Living in New York City but working in New Jersey [ 7 Answers ]

I live in New York City but work in New Jersey. I'm married no children. I'd like to find out about what are my taxes for New York City and New York State? Also, any advise for me for the next tax year on what to withhold from my employer? Thank you.

Living in NY working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

What type of taxes will I have living in NY and working in NJ? Do I get taxed twice or what? Why do I have to pay taxes in NY if I'm in NJ? Im confused about this whole thing is it worth living in NY and working in NJ?

Living in WV, Working in VA [ 1 Answers ]

I am contemplating taking a job in Virginia. However, I live in WV. Will my employer withhold WV tax and if they don't, how do I have them withheld? Additionally, how do we handle this when we file our annual tax returns? Will I have to file a return for both WV and VA? :confused: Thanks...

Living in New York and working in New Jersey [ 1 Answers ]

My husband will be working in New Jersey this summer but we live in manhattan. How should he handle the withheld taxes from his weekly paycheck and how does that influence his annual salary? If it is possible to give me an estimated percentage that we can anticipate as a weekly deduction, I would...

View more questions Search