Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airgordo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 03:41 AM
    Special case of L1 visa TAX
    Hello, I'm a special case of L1 visa, as I do not stay full year on USA, I stayied 72 days on 2009, 136 days on 2010 and 126 days on 2011, therefore I filed as Non-resident for years 2009 and 2010, but this year numbers seem to show that I will pass the Prescense Test to be considered a Resident, My employer and my Income is on Texas but I live about half of the year on Dominican Republic, I have a Child and a Wife with L2s (none ITIN nor SSN) that have always lived on Dominican Republic.

-For what I have read, I would NOT be able to claim the child as a Relative or Child even if it had ITIN number since is not a US citizen neither Lives on Mexico or Canada, is this correct?

-How do I file as a resident? What form is to be used, 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040? Can I claim anything for my Wife even if she does not have SSN/ITIN?

- Is it any extra document to fill up when you change between tax years from Non-Resident to Resident?

Thanks in Advance for ANY help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
    In your case 72/6 + 136/3 + 126 = 12 + 45 + 126 = 183. You did complete SPT so you can file joint return as residents.
    airgordo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Thanks Mukata! I read that one person can not have ITIN and SSN at the same time, we were looking to get a SSN for my wife and not an ITIN because let's you do more things on USA like getting a lincense but it takes 6 to 7 weeks so obviously that passes the tax deadline, is there anyway to get some refund based on spouse if it does not have SSN or ITIN? Otherwise my guess is that I will have to file as single.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax deduction for therapies to special needs kids of h1 visa [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My husband is in NJ with h1 visa. We have an autisitic kid for whom we are spending for therapies out of our packets. Can this amount be deducted in the tax?

Special treatment child custody case [ 2 Answers ]

MY ex is a chief of police and is getting special treatment from the judges, & attorneys. My attorney admitted to this directly. I now have everyother weekend with my son and there's no grounds for it, except he is married (which was also the case when we had shared). I'm at a loss of what to...

The No contact Rule/Special Case [ 8 Answers ]

Ok. Here is my story. He went on a cruise the 14th of this month and he hasn't called yet. He is 49 years old and Im younger. He called up until the 9th. Everything was fine until that point. He Called everyday. We Went on dates regularly. This has been an established relationship for a year and...

Tax return special case! Thanks [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the USA for about 8 years since the year 2000 and I used to file my tax return as single. I got married in 2005 and I still filed my tax return as single because my wife is in China and she does not have social security number. The tax return agency could not file as I married. Since...

View more questions Search