Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cellomangler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 10:55 PM
    Convert 3 conductor range to 4 conductor plug ?
    I'm attaching a photo of the connections on an old range with a 3 conductor plug that I want to convert to a 4 conductor plug. What looks like a strap under the center of the connection block is actually not -it doesn't hook to anything nor is there a screw hole for it to attach to.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2012, 03:21 AM
    The equipment ground jumper is the one from the center terminal on that white block to the right, from center terminal to the frame of the appliance.

Remove that jumper, and connect the green equipment ground of the new cord to the frame.

By the way, thanks for the photo, photos help greatly.

Mar 10, 2012, 12:02 PM
    That's what I was thinking. The white block connects to the oven element and the center green jumper from it is the equipment ground. So I will disconnect it and hook the green wire from the new 4 conductor cord to that screw on the oven housing. Thanks a bunch.

Mar 13, 2012, 01:34 AM
    Got one more question. I opened up the back for cleaning out some cobwebs and I found 3 more green wires attaching to the metal housing. Looks like they are from the burners and the upper oven element. I am guessing I need to disconnect these as well? I'm starting to think that maybe I shouldn't trust the old wiring in this oven -it looks intact but it's that old asbestos or cloth insulation and there's a bit of rust on some of the contacts.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Any green wires connected to the frame of the unit can remain, as they will get grounded once a new circuit with ground is installed.

As far as the age and condition of the unit, I have to leave that to your judgement. I can tell it is very old or corroded from the photo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrons are emitted from a conductor when the conductor is? [ 3 Answers ]

Multi. Choose... A. exposed to weak light. B. cooled rapidly C. Bombarded by high-speed electrons D. subjected to a small voltage

2 conductor cord set on a ceiling track lighting kit and plug it into the wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a regular 2 conductor cord set on a ceiling track lighting kit and plug it into the wall? I Don't have a box in the ceiling The cord has to a like copper conductors, The track lihght has white and black +green ground

Conductor sizing? [ 5 Answers ]

TK, Cobraguy, Labman, KISS Okay, I now have a nine volume set of current books ranging from simple wiring to the NEC. I also sound some U.S. Navy BPARS manuals and theoretical engineering books from when I went to Internal Corporate electrical schools. Not to mmention product specific...

Range wiring - breaker and conductor size [ 4 Answers ]

This weekend I will be wiring a 120/240v 8,800 watt range (oven with 4 burners on top). My questions concern wire and breaker size. I've asked about this before and I still cannot determine the best answer. I understand that under the NEC, the minimum sized circuit for a range is 40 amp, using...

Conductor and electrolyte [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between condycter and electrolyte?

View more questions Search