Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angie9987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 09:06 PM
    My ex husband has threatened me. Do I release the children to him if I feel unsafe?
    My ex husband has threatened me several times in e-mail and text, Will I have to release the children to him if I don't feel safe around him?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 09:17 PM
    If you feel threatened then you call the police, you show them the emails and texts, you get a restraining order, and then you take the matter of custody of the children to court.

If your fears are valid, if he is threatening you, then he will likely lose custody, and a restraining order shouldn't be hard to get. If he is in fact threatening you.

So you have to be sure, be certain. You can't take this step out of spite. There really has to be a threat in order for you to call the police and go about this process.

But no, if you have custody of the children, you don't have to release the children to him because he's threatened you. However, if he has custody, then yes, you have to follow what the courts decided.
    angie9987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 09:24 PM
    I called the police this last time but the others are only in emails. I was fed up this last time so I called the police and explained every thing to the officer on the phone and she let me know that it was in fact an open ended threat. The children lives with me and he lives out of state. I am the custodial parent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2012, 04:09 AM
    What visitation rights was he given in the divorce? As long as there are court ordered visitation you have to turn the children over.

So you need to go to court to change the visitation and get an restraining order.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2012, 06:57 AM
    I don't understand how threats to you have anything to do with whether you should release the child to him.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I don't understand how threats to you have anything to do with whether you should release the child to him.

Absolutely agree.

Also, if visitation is Court ordered you cannot withhold the children without the risk of being held in contempt. In my State (NY) the Police will not get involved with visitation because visitation is not a criminal matter. They will take a complaint because of the threats, but that does not change whether he sees the children. As AK said, he is threatening you, not the children.

So - if you believe and can prove that he is a threat to the children go back to Court and get the visitation Order changed. You must prove he is a physical or mental danger to the children.

Again, if you withhold the children contrary to the Court Order you will be the person defending an action.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2012, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    But no, if you have custody of the children, you don't have to release the children to him because he's threatened you. However, if he has custody, then yes, you have to follow what the courts decided.

Not in the US - perhaps in Canada. Do we know where the OP resides?

I am reading that she has custody and he has visitation. Either way (he has custody, she has custody) the Court Order must be followed. A restraining Order in her favor keeps him away from her - not away from the children. Picking up and dropping off for visitation, of course, would have to be worked out and addressed by an Order.

(If she has custody she does have to release the children to him IF there's a Court Order which allows him to have visitation. OP having custody does not allow her to withhold the children. In the US it would be unusual for a custody Order not to include visitation - but I'm sure it happens).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you feel about vaccinations for your children? [ 4 Answers ]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Typhoid_inoculation2.jpg/150px-Typhoid_inoculation2.jpg What do you think about vaccinations for children? Have you talked to your physician about your concerns? Have you delayed vaccinations for your children? What are your fears? Tell us...

My husband died as the result of an auto accident. Medicare will not release any [ 3 Answers ]

Will not release any information to me or the auto insurance company as to whether we owe any money to them. They will not accept a marriage license and I do not have a power of attorney. State of California.

Unruly Neighbors, Feel Unsafe, Multiple Convos. W/ LL, Break Lease? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been renting my apt. in West Chester, PA with my boyfriend. We resigned our 1 year lease to start our 2nd year in Aug. 2010. Shortly after, some new neighbors moved in across the hall. They play music extremely loud at all hours of the day and night. There are many people coming and...

Parents voluntarily release rights to children what next [ 1 Answers ]

When children are temporary court wards and a Supplemental P.C. is filed with the court and the parents voluntary release their rights is it necessary to set a Post-Termination Review Hearing?

I feel unsafe [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :( I have post this before! My boyfriend and I live and work in different city! He works in a cosmetic company,most of his colleagues are women,you can say they are beautiful women! He works with them everyday,and has lunch,supper with them everyday as he never does cooking! People...

View more questions Search