Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raj_singh Posts: 11, Reputation: -1

Mar 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
    1000cc motorbikes
    Hey guys
    I passed my full bike test in nov 2010 and bought a 2004 kawasaki zx6r B1H Green in march 2011. This is my first bike ever and I love it more then anything it's fast it's beautiful it's fast and it's fast. When I bought it it had done under 5000miles and now it's showing 6000miles well looked aftered and dry used only.

Am double minded about getting a 1000cc bike. I really want one but not sure if I'm rushing things as I didn't even ride my older bike much.

Please guys help me decide what to do.
    Is it worth upgrading?
    If yes then what bike?
    Which type of bike will be cheaper to insure Sports, Naked, classic/older, chopper?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 08:37 PM
    There is nothing wrong with the ZX6R... it's an awesome bike. Is there something wrong with yours? If not, I would stay with it a while longer. You really are likely to kill yourself on a 1000 sport bike unless you are really ready for it. Don't trick yourself into thinking you can handle it and it's not a macho thing.

Insurance is based on 2 major things... type of bike, with sport bikes being the highest generally and then engine size. Usually cruiser bikes have lower insurance rates but then, they aren't the same as a ZX6R, you know?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 08:46 PM
    I guess the continued use of the word FAST bothers me, Are you driving very fast, 100 MPH and over when you drive,
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2012, 10:20 PM
    That's a LOT of bike for an inexperienced rider... and like Fr_Chuck commented on... if you don't respect the bike.. it WILL kill you. And as I read your post... you may THINK you do... but having been riding Motorcycles since I was 11, and bikes in that size range since 1983 I can tell in your tone and word choices... you really don't yet.

Mar 10, 2012, 02:18 AM
    Fr_Chuck on a zx6r you don't need to get it in 3digits to see if it's fast general riding shows you and you feel it is fast.

I enjoy cruising on my bike as its such and pleasure... I ride with an older rider who is in late 50's so we don't do much of racing on streets more of enjoying new places.

Like odinn7 and smoothly said that the zx6r is a great bike, I will stick with for couple of years then.

Mar 10, 2012, 02:28 AM
    Fr_Chuck on a zx6r you don't need to get it in 3digits to see if it's fast general riding shows you and you feel it is fast.

I enjoy cruising on my bike as its such and pleasure... I ride with an older rider who is in late 50's so we don't do much of racing on streets more of enjoying new places.

Like odinn7 and smoothly said that the zx6r is a great bike, I will stick with for couple of years then.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2012, 05:25 AM
    You will get better gas mileage with the smaller bike, for some, if you have the power, you may be tempted to use it.
    If or when you get a Big bike, get good at stopping and avoiding things.
    The slower speeds/tight spots can require a little finesse.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
    You don't have to drive at triple digit speeds to get in serious trouble on a fast bike... just a little gravel or sand... a tad more throttle than is prudent at the wrong moment and you can kill yourself without excedeing the speed limit. I've seen it happen too many times over the years... and its an inexperienced rider it happens to over 90% of the time.And even on most of those... its the fault of another driver and the Bike rider didn't have the experience to respond in the correct manner, overcompensates and it gets out of control in a heartbeat. The more power you have, the less forgiving a mistake will be.

Eventually you will be ready for it... but you aren't just yet.

If you have a chance where you live to take an avanced motorcycle rider safety course... I highly recommend it... they teach you many of the skills you need to stay safe, and identify any bad habits you have... and trust me... ANYONE that's been riding a bike long will have some. I've taken them 5 times over the years... Given by the US Army the ones I had, they were hard.. but they were worth taking. (besides the fact that was the only way I was allowed to ride on base). And I had been riding over 20 years at that time... and the bike I had for 8 years. A Harley Davidson. And yes... I had a number of bad habits I wasn't even aware of upon the first class.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obtaining a US clear title for motorbikes [ 0 Answers ]

Hi.. I am looking at buyinga motorcycle in California and bringing to Perth west Australia. Comes with a bill of sale only. How does one get a Clear title. Is it simply applying to the California Licensing system with a VIN. I take it a cLear title means that a check has been done to ensure that...

View more questions Search