Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gupt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 04:24 AM
    Two capacitors a and b are connected in series across a 10v battery. The voltages
    Two capacitors a and b are connected in series across a 10v battery. The voltages across a and b are found to be 6V and 4V respectively. If another 2microfarad capacitor is connected across a the voltage across b increases to 9V. Calculate the capacitances of a and b.
    gupt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 04:25 AM
    Hw to do that sum?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 06:54 AM
    You can use the relatonship , and since the charge on both capacitors is equal you get

Then when you add the 2 F capacitor to a it's capacitance becomes F, and since the votage across b is now 9 that means the voltage across a is 1. So your second equation is

Now you have two equations is two unknowns, and you can solve for the capacitances of a and b.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A parallel plates capacitor is connected to a battery with emf 13.0 V. The width of t [ 1 Answers ]

A parallel plates capacitor is connected to a battery with emf 13.0 V. The width of the plates is 4.0 cm, the length is 5 cm. And the distance between two plates is 0.005 mm (the distance is much less than the width and the length, it means that edge effects is negligible), as shown below. Firstly,...

Capacitors in parellel or series [ 1 Answers ]

How to understand which capacitor are in parellel connection and which are in series?

Does a laptop require a battery connected at all times? [ 5 Answers ]

My laptop battery is recharging a lot of the time, obviously it needs to be replaced. I bought the lap new 4 years ago. I never use the laptop unplugged, can I just take the battery out and store it indefinitely till I decide to buy a new one ?

View more questions Search