Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 05:19 PM
    Shower control worn out?
    I have an older tiled shower unit in my home. The gentleman who built the home passed away in the 70's, so it is pretty old at this point.
    Lately the water turns cold before you are done showering. It does this even if no one else is using water anywhere in the house. I have not detected any leaks and the hot water heater is fine.
    It is a one handled control (not a knob) with a round cylindrical disc behind it against the wall. Clockwise to HOT, counterclockwise to COLD. Sometimes if you get it just right you can get the hot water back flowing, but I've noticed to do that you have to turn it back to cold.
    I'm thinking that the control is simply worn and needs replacing, but are there other things I should check before having it replaced? Or is 'old and worn' the most likely cause?
    Thanks in advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
    You guesstimation that its worn out is likely valid. However, most can be rebuilt which is frequently desirable over tearing into a wall. One handers are most frequently cartrdiges or ball valves. Any chance your valve looks anything like this Moen 2357 Chateau Single Handle Tub & Shower Faucet Polished Chrome - eFaucets.com Château was one of Moens oldest and best like lines even when your place was built.
    Cats Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 07:02 PM
    I have tried unsuccessfullly to attach a picture of the actual control. That one was very similar only with a 4-5 inch long handle instead of a rounded knob. I did look close enough to see that it is a "Standard" I'm guessing American Standard? Fixture. I'll try again to get the picture to load.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Try this site, enter and register to creat an account then search for your valve. Standards are also rebuildable. American Standard - Care & Repair
    Cats Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Will do, Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Delta shower control [ 3 Answers ]

:confused:I have a Delta 600 (I believe) shower faucet and I can only get luke warm water out of it. I replaced the seats and the ball assembly and I still have the same problem. I got scalding water out of it right after I replaced it but about 20 seconds into the shower it went tepid. Any help...

Sweat on a new shower control valve [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace a single - handle control valve. I tore off the tile just enough to get to the valve and need to what to do now. I THINK I know the right procedure but I would feel a lot more comfortable if I have it confirmed by an expert / knowledgeable person. Specifically, the right way to...

How can I replace worn o rings in a shower faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I replace worn o rings in a shower faucet? Can anyone explain, please?

Shower Control Removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 knob shower control setup and the hot and cold are currently leaking water. I would like to remove them and fix the problem, but I can not get them off. I took the center screws out, pulled, wiggled, pried, sprayed with WD-40, tapped with a hammer and they won't budge. If I pull any...

View more questions Search