Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lancelot82 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 12:38 PM
    Independent contractor opt
    I came to US as a grad student on F1 about 4 and a half years ago. I am holding F1 and working full-time (40hrs/week) as an employee of a university on my OPT period. I plan to start working as an independent contractor for a private company (8hrs/week) while continue working fulltime at the university.

As an independent contractor, I will be responsible for paying my quarterly estimated tax to both the IRS and to the state. The company told me to fill out a W-9 form to get my 1099 form for the quarterly tax payments. However, in this form there is a statement saying:

Foreign person. If you are a foreign person, do not use Form W-9.
    Instead, use the appropriate Form W-8 (see Publication 515,
    Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Entities).

Is there a way to learn whether I ll be considered to be foreign or resident for tax purposes? Should I fill out W9 or W8?

Also, how does the quarterly tax payment thing work? Will the IRS send me 1099 forms quarterly and I will just send them a check and then file it on April?

Thanks and Regards!!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 01:09 PM
    What was your date of entry on your current visa (month and year, please)?

Mar 8, 2012, 03:15 PM
    09/2007
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Your five-year exemption as a F-1 student ended on 31 December 2011, so, for 2012, you will be a RESIDENT alien for tax purposes.

Submit the Form W-9.

If you wait until 2013 to settle your tax debt, you CAN do so without penalty for 2012 ONLY because 2012 is your FIRST year working under Form 1099-MISC. If it continues, then you will need to make quarterly tax payments.

Mar 9, 2012, 08:55 AM
    My fifth year is going to be completed on 31 December 2012. Do they consider 2007 (3 months) as a year too?

I signed a 6 month contract with the company so it will end on Sept.2012. So I think I do not need to pay quarterly. Can I file it with my University tax before April 2013 without any penalty and send a check with all the taxes?

I would like to thank you for your prompt response. I really appreciate it!

Mar 9, 2012, 08:56 AM
    My fifth year is going to be completed on 31 December 2012. Do they consider 2007 (3 months) as a year too?

I signed a 6 month contract with the company so it will end on Sept.2012. So I think I do not need to pay quarterly. Can I file it with my University tax before April 2013 without any penalty and send a check with all the taxes?

I would like to thank you for your prompt response. I really appreciate it!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 10:01 AM
    If you spend ANY part of the calendar year in the U.S. under a F-1 visa, it burns the ENTIRE year.

I actually had a client get off the plane at 10 P.M. on December 31st of a year to lose that year on her F-1 visa for being in country for only two HOURS.

Mar 9, 2012, 01:31 PM
    Thanks a lot for the info! It helped a lot!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 01:35 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT, Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I am in my OPT status. Am I eligible to work as an independent contractor instead of working as an employee to some company?

Taxes to be paid by independent contractor on OPT in Texas [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I am working as a Independent contractor from June 2010. Am on my OPT at present. I am located in Texas. Can anyone please tell me what are the taxes to be paid and the process to pay them? By what time do we need to pay the taxes? Thanks.

I am on my OPT. Can I work as an independent contractor? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a foreign student and currently on my OPT. I have been offered a contractor position from a consulting group for 3 months. The agreement states my title as an independent contractor Can I accept this? Can I work as an independent contractor on OPT?

Quarterly Taxes [ F1 visa and on OPT hired as an independent contractor (1099) ] [ 2 Answers ]

I am on an F1 visa and am on OPT(17 month STEM Extension) hired as an independent contractor (1099). It has been exactly 2.5 years since I came to the US. Do I have to pay quarterly taxes ? Thanks, Abhishek

OPT independent contractor and taxes [ 4 Answers ]

What are the taxes that a foreign student on OPT who is working as an independent contractor is subjected to. What if the student is a "resident alien" for tax purpose. (IRS classifies foreign students as "resident aliens" for tax purpose if the period of stay in US is roughly 3yrs or more). ...

View more questions Search