Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xsomarx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 11:19 AM
    Child support in CA beyond high school graduation
    My son is turning 18 in May & graduating high school in June. He will be a full time student in college, unmarried, and not self-supporting. What can I do to enforce his father to continue paying child support? Is there a way to file my petition in court?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2012, 11:26 AM
    Generally speaking, you can't. In California, support generally terminates once the child has reached 18 and graduated from high school, or reached 19. Neither parent is obligated to pay for a college education or college related expenses. The exact point to termination will depend on how your support order is worded, but I do not see you being able to extend support past that point unless your support order or divorce decree specifically calls for your ex to share in the expense.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 02:22 PM
    It ends and that is the law. Now if you wish you can discuss your child's furthering of education and if he would like to contribute but there are no laws that make it mandatory.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2012, 02:25 PM
    This is spelled out in the original support order. If the support order specifies until school is finished, then he continues to pay. If it doesn't then statutorily it ends when he turns 18 or finishes HS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support to Teenagers after graduating from High school [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 teenagers will turn 18 within 2 years, do I still need to pay child support to their mother under Florida law? Or I can just give the money to my children themselves?

Determining Last Child Support Payment When Child is 18 and Graduate High School [ 5 Answers ]

My step-son is 18 and will graduate high school on 6/18. We have him full time. My husband's ex pays $1,204 per month (payable half on the 1st and half on the 15th via wage garnishment.) It is my position that she has to pay the entire month's worth ($1204) because his graduation is after...

High school graduation [ 3 Answers ]

Is it appropriate to invite high school coaches & school personnel to your high school graduation

Etiquette high school graduation [ 3 Answers ]

Is it okay to use computer generated mailing labels for the outside envelope? I am concerned that my son's handwriting may not be legible for the post office.

High school graduation announcement [ 1 Answers ]

Is the high school graduation announcement from the parents of the child or from the child? I don't know who is sending it.

View more questions Search