Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Mar 7, 2012, 07:44 PM
    Employer in Nebraska wants to collect income tax but I live in state w/out income tax
    Hello, new employer whose office is based in Nebraska. I do not live or work in Nebraska. This is a fed gov't agency. They tell me they will collect Nebraska states income tax from my pay. How can they do that? I do spend about 3 weeks a year at the office in Nebraska, staying in a motel while there but the remainder I am on the road working on assignments staying in motels and my permanent home (mortgaged) is in another state entirely and that state does not collect income tax. I am not sue yet if I have plans to move to Nebraska or not, but I most certainly own no property there now. What do I say or do? If I must pay it, do I need to file a Nebraska tax filing and will I get the money back? Do I need to pay it only when I am working in Nebraska? Or all year long?

Check out some similar questions!

Employer refuses to change state income tax allocation to state of residence [ 3 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My husband works from our home in AZ for a company that has three corporate locations; 1 in NY, 1 in NC and 1 in CO. When he was hired, he was hired through the NC location, worked for 1 week in the CO location in...

State Income Tax & State Disability Tax field on tax forms [ 3 Answers ]

With someone working out of state, is the "SIT/SDI state" field on a tax payroll form mean the state that the person is working in, or the state that he lives in?

Federal corporate income tax treatment on state income tax return [ 0 Answers ]

I know that federal corporation tax is deductible on state corporate tax returns but not on federal corporate returns, but is it deductible on state corporate returns? You may generalize your answer or you may limit it to Florida Form F-1120 if you like. I have been told that it can but I can't...

I live in NH (no income tax) My employer transferred me to MA about 5 years ago. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NH (no income tax) My employer transferred me to MA about 5 years ago. At the time of transfer I was told they would not have to deduct taxes or they would compensate me for the difference. They never deducted anything. Now I believe I am going to be fired and will need to collect...

State income tax and local income tax in W2 Form [ 2 Answers ]

I know "state income tax" in W2 is the state income withholding" used for state tax return. But what will "local income tax" in W2 be used for?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search