Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Social Security and Medicare not withheld
    Hi,
    I am working on H1B from Jan 03, 2006. I was earlier on F-1 CPT (till Jan 02, 2006) with the same employer. However, for the year 2006, social security and medicare taxes were not with held from my paycheck. My W2 colums in those to categories are blank. Please advice on a way to go forward... this is a substantial amount and obviously I do not want to pay unless I have to... is there something I can do?

Thanks in advance
    akane
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Akane:

If you promptly notified your employer of your visa change and made no attempt to hide the fact that you were an H-1B (since they sponsored you for that, it is obvious you did not hide your visa status), you have no responsibility to pay these taxes.

The IRS holds the employer responsible for payment of these taxes, not the employee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Social Security and Medicare tax [ 10 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I came to US as a student. After I graduated from university, I've worked under H1b status from Oct. 15, 2004 to Feb. 12, 2006. However, on Feb. 18, 2006 I left US permanently, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be: 1. Am I eligible to claim...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social security and medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

Social Security / Medical Withheld during OPT - Format of Employee Letter to IRS [ 1 Answers ]

I was on OPT till July 13, 2005 and switched to H1 from July 14 2005. I am a NR Alien for Tax puropose as I have been on H1B < 183 days. My employer withheld Social Security and Medicare Tax while I was on OPT as they did not have a separate system for not taking those taxes. I want to file...

View more questions Search